Rileys Nails Are Pretty Long

wagsalot

Last time I took Riley to the vet (about a month ago) I asked the vet to clip his nails for me as Riley HATES me doing it and jumps around like a jumping bean, and his nails are black too which makes it hard.

The vet said they didnt need cutting, but I really believe they are too long - when he sits down its like his nails are pushing his toes up a bit. THey're not bothering him, and he walks fine, but they I really think they need to be cut back a bit.

BUT!!! I was thinking of taking him back to that vet (who has been great for everything else)..but Im stressing he will cut the quick.

Riley's nails havent been clipped that much at all (They've only just started to get long) and I thought i remembered hearing that the quick can grow close to the end of the nail if the nail isnt cut much?? Is this right??

Riley already hates his feet being touched, and if the quick was cut it would make this 10 times worse.

I dont know whether to take him to the vet, (I know I should trust the vet, but I just cant with this!! Im paranoid over the quick being cut!! - Stupid I know :thumbsup: ) or whether I should just keep taking little bits off the end of the nail myself.

The only prob with me doing it is that it stresses Riley out, it is really difficult keeping him still, and I only take the smallest bit off as Id hate myself if I cut the quick.

Any suggestions (sorry If i rambled..but it is 10.30 and my brain has stopped working for the day )

Edited to add - Ive attached a pic of his nails taken about a month ago (Around the time I took him to the vet) Not the best photo - but I think it shows the length well enough

post-22-1133177231.jpg

Edited by wagsalot

Try filing them with an old file. If the quicks are long it will help to get them to recede. Chances are your boys quicks are long and you will possibly cut them if you cut his nails.

You need to get him accustomed to having his nails done or it will be a battle every time, increasing the chances of cutting too short and making them bleed if he is struggling.

More zoomies on rough concrete or bitumen is helpful too.

He used to be fine getting his nails cut, until about 6 months ago when the vet said he's got anxiety.

The vet thinks him stressing over his feet has something to do with the anxiety. He is a known paw chewer as well.

Before that I could clip them with no problems - and i never cut the quick or anything to make him hate getting his nails clipped

do groomers clip nails? if so, how about taking him to one rather than the vet?

my mum does our dogs, both have black nails

my guinea pigs one has all white nails the other has one paw that is black and the rest white, i always get paranoid cutting the black paw as they freak out when i cut their nails in the first place.

They won't bleed to death unless they have a clotting disorder true, but it is painful and can make them very wary of a nail clip next time. A struggling frightened dog can be a danger to itself and the person trying to clip the nails.

I cut some of them myself last night - only a tiny bit though and it wasnt easy with Riley jumping around like a looney.

I am pretty sure I was no where near the quick. I was looking at a couple of good websites which showed how the nail colour changed, the closer you get to the quick, and rileys didnt change at all.

Ive booked him in for the vet this arvo at 4.15 though - least if he cuts the quick, he'll have that powder stuff to help stop the bleeding (although Im praying he doesnt cut the quick)

Even if the vet cuts his nails back a little bit each time we visit (Which is quite frequent with Rileys eye problem).

Edited to add - we found that covering Riley's eyes made him more relaxed and still too!

Edited by wagsalot

wagsalot your dog's nails look far too long IMO. Try just taking off a tiny bit at a time and do this every week until they're at an acceptable length. If you know someone who has a grooming table with an arm ask if you can use it, with the dog's head immobilised you should be able to cut his nails easily. If he still struggles ask someone to hold his rear end as well. If you do accidently cut the quick (which is unlikely if you only take a bit at a time) don't panic as it's no big deal, put the nail into a soft cake of soap and it'll stop bleeding almost immediately. However cutting the quick may make your dog even more anxious when you try to do it the next time.

It is always best to start grooming your dog when they're babies, brushing, cleaning ears, blow drying, clipping and cutting nails should all be part of their routine from a very young age, even if they don't need it at the time. If you start grooming your dog from say, eight weeks on, the dog will accept these procedures as just a part of life and you'll have no trouble whatsoever.

It is always best to start grooming your dog when they're babies, brushing, cleaning ears, blow drying, clipping and cutting nails should all be part of their routine from a very young age, even if they don't need it at the time. If you start grooming your dog from say, eight weeks on, the dog will accept these procedures as just a part of life and you'll have no trouble whatsoever.

As I said above - up until about 6 months ago Riley was fine with his nails being clipped. Its only since his anxiety started that he gets paranoid over people touching his feet.

Just wanted to clarify that as I dont want people thinking Im a bad owner :)

Leila has naturally very long nails, even when just cut 2 of them will touch the ground (just), if they have a long quick there's not much you can do about it.

Walking on the road surface is an excellent tip.

Edited by sas

Well saw 2 different vets today - both said Riley's nails are OK at the moment. One said he would cut about 3mm off, but no more than that, and when he tried Riley went absolutely ape and he couldnt do it.

He told me to just take him for runs on concrete as everyone here suggested. He said they arent doing any damage and arent long enough to create any problems..but to keep a eye on his dew claws - which are ok at the moment.

Also he said if we ever needed to get his nails cut he'd have to be sedated as he really flipped out today. He isnt that bad at home though when I do it which is good.

I am going to try take a little bit off one day every day, as well as taking him for runs and walks on concrete to see how we go.

Edited by wagsalot

Our dog's nails seem far too long too - have been for the last two years.

I can handle her paws etc any old time, but the moment I try to cut, file or do anything with the nails, it's all over. She's too big to fight her over it.

Vet is not worried. She gets lots of exercise and runs on concrete, and I'm beginning to think it actually quite self-limiting - they don't seem to be getting any longer than long.

If we ever do have to sedate her for something else ( and it seem that won't be for her teeth due to BARF diet), I will get them to trim the nails then.

In the meantime, I've given up worrying about the nails - or what anyone thinks - except, of course, the vet - who will have the job of fixing them IF a problem arises.

cheers

Our dog's nails seem far too long too - have been for the last two years.

I can handle her paws etc any old time, but the moment I try to cut, file or do anything with the nails, it's all over. She's too big to fight her over it.

Vet is not worried. She gets lots of exercise and runs on concrete, and I'm beginning to think it actually quite self-limiting - they don't seem to be getting any longer than long.

If we ever do have to sedate her for something else ( and it seem that won't be for her teeth due to BARF diet), I will get them to trim the nails then.

In the meantime, I've given up worrying about the nails - or what anyone thinks - except, of course, the vet - who will have the job of fixing them IF a problem arises.

cheers

You've said exactly what how I feel now.

Not worried about what everyone says anymore.

And our vets think alike :)