Is This An Ok Way To Train

Haven's comment about a static command slowing down the recall is something I see every week at training. And these people trial their dogs and have been trialling for a long time. Anticipation is something we often use to our advantage (such as sit always coming at the end of a recall) but can be a problem.

I have not yet tackled the drop on recall with my dogs. With Zoe I don't think I ever will - it is more important for me for her to have a lightning fast recall everytime. With Diesel if I want to trial at a high level obedience I will have to get to it. I have practiced drop at a distance for both toy and food rewards, and a good method I have heard is to then add a recall after the drop and lastly add the first recall. And don't do it too often, that way they don't learn to anticipate.

Any static command on a recall is going to slow down the recall, especially if it's not taught properly.

I personally wouldn't use or seperate commands for this. There is a neat little trick which is based on posturing which works well in letting the dog know if it's a full or part recall - doesn't work on all dogs though.

Any static command on a recall is going to slow down the recall, especially if it's not taught properly.

I agree, Kelpie-i (and Haven)

Kelpie-i:  I personally wouldn't use or seperate commands for this.  There is a neat little trick which is based on posturing which works well in letting the dog know if it's a full or part recall - doesn't work on all dogs though.

If you had a different "cue" (verbal or otherwise) for a recall that would include a drop at a distance, then the recall would become slow merely through anticipation.

After teaching my dog the general idea of a drop at distance from a recall, I left off for a while, and went bact to pure recall, to rebuild the speed. I returned, later, to put some 'polish' on the recall/drop/recall exercise, then left off again, returning to pure recall.

I practice the recall/drop/recall only occasionally, now that she's 'got it'.

Edited by Erny

Can I ask a question?

How does everyone teach the drop on recall?

I've never taught this before, and am interested how people teach this without confusing the poor dog and/or slowing his recall.

(I can start another thread if you like, Kelpiecuddles?) :laugh:

I'll give a brief outline of what i do

ok dog knows how to drop so drop on recall is just an extension of drop whereever.

I will throw out a piece of food and let dog get it then as soon as hes finished i ask for a drop then toss another piece gain as soon as hes finished ask for drop. because im throwing the food out he is learning that the reinforcement comes from out there so doesnt magnate toward me the i add a hand signal which is high and moving forward the pretend throw of the food this stops him i ask for drop then toss the food I also do this with a toy. Once im getting fast drops in all environment i hav ea dog that will drop solidly on cue then you ask for it when they are coming to you with the pretend throw handsignal lol and bang drop because it has already been built in

I have never had a slow recall or anticipation my dogs run in fast on their recalls i want them running in fast not trotting in like a lot of dogs do. i also want a spontaneous drop even when its not formal as its very handy to be able to stop a dog in its tracks i work on the rverse too the dog is moving away from you running to a mark i will ask for drops then too forget the fact that you want it on a recall and work on wanting a spotaneous dro that works whatever the exercise is.

Oh my seven month old has been doing drop in place since twelve weeks and he will do a great drop on recall and a very fast normal one too