Prey Drive Control & Focus..

Oh goodie, my favourite topic has hit page one again!!!!

I love dogs with lots of drive, make training a lot easier.

I have been pondering though, what do you think it feels like for a dog as it is gaining drive satisfaction.

Like me eating chocolate, or enjoying a fine red wine with dinner? LOL

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been pondering though, what do you think it feels like for a dog as it is gaining drive satisfaction.

Like me eating chocolate, or enjoying a fine red wine with dinner? LOL

For smokers out there - Maybe capturing the prey item is like a cigarete after good sex? :confused:

Maybe its like when the other person says YES to what you want the to do :cry::cry:

Being an athelete many years ago for me there was no better feeling than crossing the finish line before my bigest competitor (that happened to be my best friend) crossed it. :confused:

What do you think LL? Any of those descriptions fit your theory?

No idea, that is why I asked on this thread. LOL

A small example, in retrieving trials dogs are not allowed to cheat the water (if they want to win!!). Drills are used to break down to train this concept.

I swear, as the light goes on in their heads, and they realise cheating water will not result in a retrieve, .....it is like they think god damm it, your stupid, I would "find" the article so much quicker if I did not have to swim there and back, but OK already, I will waste time and swim.

It must feel soooooooo good for a dog, to put up with copious amounts of drills for high level work.

Edited by Lablover

Oh sorry, trying to run the bank (around a dam). Some water retrieves are angle entries and the dogs that take a better line (to the retrieve), are more likely to do well.

I will Email you some photos, if you like.

LL - I know now what you are talking about, dont mind seeing photos of course.

My dog doesnt like to swim, but he certainly likes the goose that resides in the middle of the pond on the golf course :rofl:

He will just run himself stupid from one side to another trying to get to it, but will not go in :rofl: thankfully :rofl:

K9 - so they just fall in love? No wonder he looks at me like that

K9: Your Rex's pack leader, thats the prey item you stimulate him with, you give it to another dog...

sorry one more time..

So Kavik is doing the same thing?

Drive building is going better here too. So far my best idea has been to tie Diesel up while I do drive building with Zoe - so he watches and gets frustrated, and then I do drive work with him and he works better.

Kavik - Reading your reply in the other subject about Diesel and luckof prey drive in various situations

I think you a next step for you is to have him working solid in the front yard, if he mastered the backyard.

I really dont know how this has happend for Rex becouse I have not used the tie out part, but becouse he'd always chase a ball, get there, often not pick it up and certainly never bring it back, to excercise him I used to throw the toy to my OH and back and Rex would chase it. If we dropped it and he managed to get it we would laugh, and try to be quicker and not let him have it etc. And one day he just clicked - it was like "holly sh*t that toy is great, I want I want I want, gimme gimme gimme, Ill do anything just gimme"

I have never during that process have given him any treats, never corrected him for anything, never said No etc.

If he managed to get the toy and run away with it - good luck Rexy, we would just leave the area so hed follow us.

How correct or incorrect that is - thats another story, Im just sharing my own experiences.

I really dont know how this has happend for Rex becouse I have not used the tie out part, but becouse he'd always chase a ball, get there, often not pick it up and certainly never bring it back, to excercise him I used to throw the toy to my OH and back and Rex would chase it. If we dropped it and he managed to get it we would laugh, and try to be quicker and not let him have it etc

you built up rex's drive for the ball through frustration similar to the tie out method,

his reward was every so often when u dropped the ball satisfying his drives then u would start a whole new game

I guess that also unknowingly I asked for something to do before he could chase the ball.

Becouse I was worried that Id hit him on the face with the ball as I was swinging it, I always asked for a sit or a drop before I threw the toy...

so we had a reward for compliance without thinking of it :rofl:

New question

Once the dog clicks in his mind about prey drive satisfaction do they want more and more and more of it?

Lets say in the beginning they are happy with 10 minutes twice a day and after a while they want 20 minutes 5 times a day?

Im talking about a grown up dog that has learned this later in life not about a pupp that was trained like that from the start.

The reason Im asking is that I notice somewhat an increase in my dogs need for the drive satisfaction. He will basically run and play tug with me until he almost collapses exhusted.

On several occasions he was so willing and so eager to do it that I practiced and practiced and the throw of a ball is a reward so there were losts of throws and he basically hyperventilated himself to the point that I was worried about his health/wellbeing.

Not to mention that after he runs like a maniac and overdoes it he is limping slightly next day, but still wants to inflict more of the same on himself.

M: Once the dog clicks in his mind about prey drive satisfaction do they want more and more and more of it?

K9: yes but thats where training comes in & you teach the dog to more...

The reason Im asking is that I notice somewhat an increase in my dogs need for the drive satisfaction. He will basically run and play tug with me until he almost collapses exhusted.

K9: more focus work required... This will tire out his mind..

On several occasions he was so willing and so eager to do it that I practiced and practiced and the throw of a ball is a reward so there were losts of throws and he basically hyperventilated himself to the point that I was worried about his health/wellbeing.

K9: chasing a thrown ball doesnt take a genius, give him more work to do... He only needs to capture the ball... Not a big throw...