Super Premium Foods, Opinions

My Feloe

Just curious as to people opinions on Purina Pro Plan?

Here is an example of the ingredients for performance (what I feed my JS).

Chicken (22%), Dehydrated poultry protein, Rice (17%), Maize gluten, Animal fat, Maize, Wheat, Digest, Beet pulp, Yeast, Dried egg, Fish oil, Calcium phosphate, Potassium chloride, Sodium chloride, Calcium carbonate, Minerals, DL-Methionine. Copper (as Copper Sulphate) 12mg/Kg. Vitamin A 21000 IU/Kg, Vitamin D3 1600 IU/Kg, Vitamin E 165 mg/Kg, Vitamin C 70 mg/Kg. Antioxidant: Tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin

A lot of food mentioned in the discussion main product is Chicken meal, I always got the impression that this isn't desired as it is basically all the leftovers, fat etc. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am not big on dog food ingredients so interested in people's thoughts.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious as to people opinions on Purina Pro Plan?

Here is an example of the ingredients for performance (what I feed my JS).

Chicken (22%), Dehydrated poultry protein, Rice (17%), Maize gluten, Animal fat, Maize, Wheat, Digest, Beet pulp, Yeast, Dried egg, Fish oil, Calcium phosphate, Potassium chloride, Sodium chloride, Calcium carbonate, Minerals, DL-Methionine. Copper (as Copper Sulphate) 12mg/Kg. Vitamin A 21000 IU/Kg, Vitamin D3 1600 IU/Kg, Vitamin E 165 mg/Kg, Vitamin C 70 mg/Kg. Antioxidant: Tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin

A lot of food mentioned in the discussion main product is Chicken meal, I always got the impression that this isn't desired as it is basically all the leftovers, fat etc. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am not big on dog food ingredients so interested in people's thoughts.

Chicken (22%)

Meat or Meat Based - Meat is the clean flesh of slaughtered cattle, swine, sheep or goats. The flesh can include striated skeletal muscle, tongue, diaphragm, heskeletal muscle, tongue, diaphragm, heart or esophagus, overlying fat, and the portions of skin, sinew, nerves, and blood vessels normally found with that flesh. This is what some people would call on the hoof or "wet - state". This applies equal to all livestock whether it be Beef, Chicken, Lamb, etc.,,,. After processing these meats can loose up to 80% of their weight. Thus when looking at the ingredients list you might find it as number one but in truly reality after processing it will fall between 4, 5 or even 6 on a true ingredients list.

I would recommend checking out this site - it BASICALLY covers the ingredients in dog foods for you and can arm you with enough knowledge to make an educated decision on your own.

http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html

The big thing you want to stay away from is "By-Product" and then check your preservatives. Natural over Synthethic (sp?)

ETA: Canine Nutrition is a 'hot' subject - as mentioned by many people find a food that works for you and stick to it IF you are happy with it. IF not then look for alternatives :)

Edited by HuntinHound

I raised my recent litter on Pro Plan Puppy and was very happy with it. I ordinarily use Eagle Pack, but at the time couldn't find anywhere that had stocks of it due to distribution problems. It's the food i keep in reserve as it's a decent food and easy to get! Just have to remember that it's a complete food and not intended to be fed with anything else.