What Vegetables Shouldn't You Feed Dogs?

Norskgra

Hi! Well done on feeding your dogs BARF, it's the best! My Dalmatian bitch has been on BARF since she was 8.5 weeks old and at 8 months she is big for her age, breed, and sex! Dr. Harry Cooper checked her over and said she had lovely teeth! ANYWAY I used to give my puppy grapes because she loved them as treats but I have been told by a dog trainer that they are bad for them and read somewhere on the internet that dogs can suffer some kind of digestive problems through having too many grapes and/or sultanas and/or raisins. Just thought you might like to know!

Yes. The grapes story has been debated many times.

I too feed my dogs grapes and no problems at all. I also feed my dogs any leftover spaghetti bolognase(sp?) and mine has lots and lots of onions. Not to mention the tomatoes.

I believe it all comes down to moderation. Eat too much and you suffer.

The mix is certainly an unusual colour. I just hope they like it. As I usually make up thier mix daily, how much apple cider vinegar should I be giving each of them?

We are very happy with the results of them being on BARF. We have been on it for 6 weeks today.

Our older bitch has gone from being told that she needs to put on weight to us being told at show training on Wednesday that she is in fantastic condition! She has also done more winning and has got a few 9 and 10 point Challenges. In some breeds that may not be much but in our breed that is great. She has also got Runner up Best of Breed under a US judge. Our oldest male's condtion has also improved a great deal.

Our 5 month old Elkhound is only a little bit smaller than one of her brothers. We will see her other brother tomorrow for the first time since we picked our girl up at 8 weeks. She is a bit too chubby so I am cutting down on the amount I have been feeding her but otherwise I have been told that she is exquisite.

Our 7 month old Afghan's condition has also improved.

Edited by norskgra

Hi Poodlefan,

They don't do nearly as much as when they were on dry and it is a lot firmer. It is funny but the Elkhounds poo doesn't seem to smell as much as the Afghan's for some reason. I don't know if it is more pleasant though. At least my daughter will pick it up now they are on BARF.

Hmmm interesting topic !!

My dogs eat everything !!

I had some leftover salad in the fridge from dinner the other night...it included lettuce, tomato, cheese, onion, cucumber, celery and a tray of squishy strawberries I dug out of the back of the shelf too.

The dogs got the lot and they ate it all too. (well they are labs :thumbsup: )

There wasnt much onion so I didnt stress about that...but didnt know not to give them tomatoes.

Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs.

They can cause liver damage, which is rarely able to be reversed, and as the damage is cumulative, it may take a while for any symptoms to occur.

Different dogs show signs at different levels, but I cannot see any benefit in feeding anything - including onions - which is likely to cause health problems.

I feed my dogs BARF and make my own veg/fruit slop. It includes, in varying amounts:

tomatoes (not more than a couple of times/year); zucchini (ditto re: tomatoes); carrots; pumpkin; broccoli; cauliflower; capsicum; spinach and/or silverbeet; bok choy (sometimes); potato (rarely); celery including leaves/tops; apple; stone fruits; pear; kiwi fruit.

It's not an exhaustive list but it's all I can think of ATM. I made up a batch last weekend!

I reckon it's the best way to feed your dog. I've been feeding this way for over 2 yrs with no trouble. :thumbsup:

I made some vege/fruit slop last night and Griever wouldnt eat it. :thumbsup:

Try pouring some of the blood or meat- or fish-juice from your mince/necks/bones/flaps/fish etc over it.

I have a lab female staying with me who is on a serious labrador boot camp weight reduction regime, and in the morning when the others get meaty breakfast she gets a couple of spoonfuls of veges/fruits with the sardine juice or chicken water mixed through.

She wouldn't eat it otherwise, but no hesitation if she can smell the bloooooooooooodddd. :swear: