Book Recommendation(s)

I agree with Babycake that Jan Fennell's book The Dog Listener is an excellent read - particularly for people who have "issues" about taking the lead in the dog/handler relationship.

Jan is an English woman who is more akin to Monty Roberts (the real Horse Whisperer) than John Richardson - whilst the book is mostly about the philosphy behind training to be a leader, there are some wonderful ancedotes which I'm sure your Dad would relate to.

ML, I OWN nearly every one of these books. How about rather than your Dad going out and spending his hard earned I package them up and send them up there.. that way he can read them, decide which ones he likes and buy his own copies?

Books cost a bomb and most of these are gathering dust - I read them from time to time but not that often.

Of course, if they are not returned, I will be forced to hunt you down, kidnap Duke and hold him to ransom. :thumbsup:

I can send:

The Dog Listener

The Dogs Mind and one other by Bruce Fogle

The Other End of the Leash

Purely Positive Training

Bones Would Rain From the Sky (Suzanne Clothier's book which I love)

Clicker Trainng for Obedience

Dog Training for Dummies - the Volhards book which I also like.

One by David Weston

If you want a good giggle I'll chuck in Hugh Wirth's book too. :shrug:

Edited by poodlefan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about rather than your Dad going out and spending his hard earned I package them up and send them up there.

:eek: Oh that would be great PF! You are such a legend. PM me with what it will cost to post them up to me (postcode 4113) and your bank details and I will deposit the money. :hug: Again, you are such a legend!

Of course, if they are not returned, I will be forced to hunt you down, kidnap Duke and hold him to ransom.

:love: Ok, deal. :party:

If you want a good giggle I'll chuck in Hugh Wirth's book too.

I have an awful feeling Dad already has this book, he told me he got some RSPCA training book. :eek:

Edited by molasseslass

Good on you PF!! I've borrowed a few of those books from a trainer at the moment - it's a great way to get an intro without spending all the $$$ yourself!

I really enjoyed 'The Other End of the Leash' - I thought it was really easy to read and Patricia McConnell has border collies so hopefully your dad could find stuff to relate to. Mind you, I don't think it has all that much in the way of practical exercises... so maybe not what he's after :party:

I tried looking on the BCC elibrary site to see if I could find any of these so your dad could borrow them but unless I put in really bad search criteria (which is quite possible! :love: ) there doesn't seem to be much available there. bummer.

I'm about to start the Positive Training for Dummies book - will let you know if there's exercises in that.

Good luck to him - it's a lovely story about how he's turned his thinking around - I've gone through a fairly similar change myself :eek:

Good luck to him - it's a lovely story about how he's turned his thinking around - I've gone through a fairly similar change myself

Good on ya. :party:

My Dad swore black and blue he was never having another dog after the last one (Dusty) died. She was a ACD purchased from a BYB and was the last pup left and no one wanted her (she was already 4 months old). She had a pretty bad temperament (used to nip people quite a lot) but she lived with my Dad when he and mum split up and they were best friends. She got hit by a car because she used to do anything to escape while he was at work and sit on the road watching to see his car return. She died at 14.5 years old when deaf, and pretty blind, she fell asleep behind the wheel of a visitors car who backed out without looking. :love: He said he could never have another dog because they'd never measure up. I got a call when the pups were 6 weeks old and he asked very sheepishly if he could have a dog, promised to do everything I said it needed and would be a good owner. :eek: Silly Daddy! Of course I knew, despite his old-world dog knowledge, he would make a perfect owner (with some updated knowledge). He asked to have only the pup no-one else wanted and as fate would have it, this was to be the pup I would have chosen for him anyway. Tilly was the only puppy who looked like her mother rather than her father (no white on the face and not a lot overall), she was independant and the only puppy she would play with was Kara (the pup I was keeping). To see what Tilly has done for my dad (had a hard life - mostly by his own doing, but still) is incredible and one of the big reasons I am a breeder. He's know a fully committed BARF feeder, he vaccinates, worms and had Tilly microchipped. He's careful about too much exercise in a young pup and checks her over for ticks everyday despite not being in a known tick area. :eek: He records her weight and height every month and makes sure she's groomed well.

He will really appreciate borrowing your books PF. Thank you so much, I am in tears here at work. :hug:

R:

Hey Steve (k9 force) just wondering, is the book you were talking about (Applied Dog Behaviour) written by Steven R. Lindsay?

K9: yes, thats correct, but keep in mind that they are in depth books, unlike some of the others suggested here....

M:

but we're talking above a novice dog owner here who wants to move into some competition with his one dog. How can you possibly think an outlay of $291 for 1 book could possibly be justified by an owner of this type (no matter how good it may be).

K9: I dont think the cost is a big issue, more the fact that the books may be a little over the top for a novice...

M:

It's like recommending to someone who is just starting out in photography that they need to buy a development lab and $10000 worth of equipment. It's simply OTT and unpractical.

K9: Interesting point, I have seen people come to me & say they like my leather leashes, but steer away from the $70 price tag. So they buy a $20 leash from a pet store, 3 weeks after that the $20 one fails, so they buy a $30 one, this one stretches & the snap is sticky, so they buy another $20 to get them buy... thats $70 & they still have a poor product...

There is no such thing as Too much knowledge, but quite a danger in a "little bit of knowledge".

M":

but right now it's the most ridiculous suggestion ever made.

K9: "ever made"? Thats got to be some sort of record..lol.... I think "ever made" is a little over the top.

I have these books, I know about 15 people who have them too, each & every one of us have refferred to them numerous times, & having said that, there are some books on the recommended list here that & have thrown away after 20 pages... :party:

They are in depth books, I agree, but they are accurate the information in them is invalueable...

K:

John Richardson, it's a great book I highly recommend it.

K9: oh.... lol... Im glad you liked it....

John Richardson

From stories I've been told of his training, this emoticon is appropriate ..... :party:

I agree with HR - Steven Lindsay's books are fantastic. But I admit they are not for the novice.

Edited by Erny

Is John Richardson the one who calls himself a dog whisperer and makes whining sounds like the dogs to communicate with them?

Nat

That's why I suggested the Burch and Bailey book. How dogs learn goes over operant conditioning, explains all four quadrants of the motivation matrix, covers extinction, jackpotting, marking, fading, chaining etc all in a very clear and concise manner. Packed full of information, but still an easy read for a novice :party:

Hi

Since Steven Lindsay has been mentioned I'm going to do a bit of a high jack and ask has anyone read the 3rd vol if so is it as good as the other 2 and where did you get it from?

cheers

M-J