How To Stay

Haven and Yogibear,

Simple commands I do indeed too feel dogs understands better, so I agree (in a way). Sit means SIT.

I just find (and this probably is a direct result of my old obedience habits) depending on the dog, repetitive commands regarding sit helps young dogs, as I may and probably do add distractions (and training more retriever related concepts) earlier than most.

K9: old fashioned me still uses the stay command. The reason is that, when I give the down or sit stay command, my dog understands that he will not be getting a chance at prey drive satisfaction, he knows to cool off, get outta drive & settle in.

When I give the platz command, the dog will go down in drive, he knows prey drive satisfaction (a chase & bite) will be coming soon, & to stay driven.

I feel that when I use the sit only without the stay command & make the dog do a long time sit (stay) the action of sit gets slow.

If I give sit command, the dog sits fast, the stay command lets him know he will be there a while...

I'm not exactly sure what you mean LL. Do you mean that you repeat the sit command when the dog is in the teaching phase?

Sorry for being vague (it is normal for me, on the computer). Every time one of my dogs become confused (not for lack of effort on the dogs part) I quicky simplify by reverting back to a known command. So yes I do use sit a lot, including when teaching stays.