Chasing Ball

what about they are heading off the prey so it can run any further?? LOL just a guess :rofl:

my border collies (apart from the ball obsessed one) prefer to herd the chasing dogs rather than get the ball unless it is to ensure the others dont get it after they win they get it they taunt the others then drop it

I used to train in football fields as they have no cover when teaching a concept.

EVERY time I went (and this park is relatively quiet through the day-semi rural park), someone with an untrained dog who allow their dogs to worry mine. It used to drive me nuts. As distance from myself and the dog would normally be significant, I did normally have the opportunity to stop the dog before reaching the retrieving article so guarding/fighting over the retrieving object was not a real problem. BUT every so often the dog would chase mine close to the article and a few heart stopping moments did occur. Really I used to worry more about dogs chasing mine in attack mode, as I suppose my dogs looked as though they were running away.

As I train in featureless fields away from the public nowadays I am certainly more relaxed.

Regarding dogs sight here is a good link:

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/LA/davis2.htm

Another subject on this thread:

CAN DOGS PANT AND SCENT AT THE SAME TIME??????????

what about they are heading off the prey so it can run any further??

K9: its possible however I think if the ball has stopped rolling this wouldnt be the case, should be easy to read the dog if he was doing this.

LL:

K9: At a seminar in Kentucky, it was explained that dogs interpret scent via a membrane at the rear of the tongue. Scent can be inhaled via mouth or nose, then adhere to the membrane for signalling to the brain.

So I will say yes & I have seen it done also.

LL:

K9: At a seminar in Kentucky, it was explained that dogs interpret scent via a membrane at the rear of the tongue. Scent can be inhaled via mouth or nose, then adhere to the membrane for signalling to the brain.

So I will say yes & I have seen it done also.

Strike me pink. Another subject close to my heart. With all these thoughts acting as reminders, bumping around my brain, I definitely feel a headache coming on.

I do not believe that dogs can "heavily" pant and scent at the same time. One reason why a good marking dog on marked retrieves is a blessing. Along this thought why dogs, in the wrong amateur trainers hands, may feel too much pressure (via pressue tools and pressure training) and with resultant extra stress do not mark well.

LL:

I do not believe that dogs can "heavily" pant and scent at the same time.

K9: when working dogs, I feel that they have three levels of increased respitory activity (panting).

1. Breathing has transferred from the nose to the mouth, normal operation when the dog is mildly active but not stressed.

2. Dog is working within its fitness & hydration level, respitory function has increased to offer more oxygen to the blood & cool the dog.

3. Dog has become fatigued, working outside it's fitness & hydration level, working toward hyper ventilation.

I believe that a dog can scent effectively in modes 1&2.

Once again, I forgot to add a certain important word - I apologise - (which may impact on our thoughts and your reply????????, I meant to add in full fight.

I will not muddy the waters by adding scent conditions.

I need to get back to the typing in word for the two discussions which are now causing me a severe headache, LOL.