Prey Drive And Control

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PJ:

I think I might get a better idea of what to do if Steve were here!

K9: ya think? lol...

PJ:

So maybe I shouldn't be doing this type of frustration thing anymore. It seems that her drive and frustration are pretty high when she is tied. I know you can't tell properly without seeing, but what would you think from what I have described here and in other posts in this thread - have I built up her drive enough? Should I not do the tie out thing? Just off-lead (at home) frustration building?

K9: if you go to the hand held prey item & she isnt as keen for it, you havent finished drive development yet.

You stop drive development when the drive is developed, not when your tie post is failing.

PJ:

Can high drive dogs ever run out of drive?

K9: yes, they can drop from exhaustion, hyper ventilate, de hydrate etc. But whilst in drfive they will go harder, further for longer.

There is actually a "condition" that occurs that causes high drive animals to loose consciousness in drive. Quite rare though.

PJ:

I know you can reduce drive through corrections, etc, but that is not what I mean.

K9: exhaustion is aversive this reducing drive.

PJ:

But can you throw and throw and throw a ball, allowing the dog to capture it every time and it will never lose interest? Or say there is no or little satisfaction, as in capturing the prey (eg chasing flies), will they ever run out of desire to chase the item in a particular day? I imagine that a new day would bring renewed drive.

K9: if satisfaction never comes, the dog will give up looking for it there, just like someones dog here will chase ducks, has to learn that satisfa ction wont come there...

Again I say, you may have no need to train in drive & your making a rod for your own back.

All I can tell you is that after a "very short'' test with her, I could see potential.