Using Drive In Basic Obedience

But how do you know how far to push before the dog gives up? I know my main problem is that I let the dog win too easily, but I worry that if he is not able to get the prey item he will give up.

K9: you start by allowing the dog to capture the item more frequently in the beginning, then it gets harder & harder to capture as training progresses.

She resource guards if I use prey drive with her. If we are playing tug, and Diesel comes over to see what we are doing, she will have a go at him.

K9: so you put her on a leash & when she shows aggression, give HIM the item.

M:

my understanding of prey is a chase not a tug.

K9: prey drive is the desire to chase & bite a fast moving item.

LL:

As they obey for example sit, I instantly throw them an article to catch.

K9: In this stage with a puppy, you will get more drive if you throw the tug directly into the ground, makng it bounce high, the change of direction after the bounce really revs them up.

LL:

Would it be worth me purchasing the Bernard Flinks video/DVD, bearing in mind my requirements relate to retrieving not protection training?

K9: hmm, I havent watched them, lol, in person Bernhard is very good, but he really is a Sch trainer, Im not sure how much you would get?

She resource guards if I use prey drive with her. If we are playing tug, and Diesel comes over to see what we are doing, she will have a go at him.

K9: so you put her on a leash & when she shows aggression, give HIM the item.

I think that would guarantee Zoe would then show some serious aggression towards Diesel!

As the direct answer - yes I know - no stimuli no drive no learning etc, but when I think of my dog playing with the other and showing agression over a ball I think I should just take the bl**dy ball and not give it to anyone....

(that is the wrong lazy attitute)

This weekends ball play will be with the lead attached. (getting better and being proactive)

K9 (and others),

For high level working dogs what are your views on how young dogs are reared.

Should they spend most of their time, out of trouble and resting in crates and runs, rather than being loose in the house or yard. We all know dogs learn nothing in their pens or crates, and the benefits of being with handlers/owners may encourage biddability, bonding and such.

Of course, a tired dog is well - a tired dog. Ones that play with older dogs during the day and may learn bad habits (for much of day and night) , whereas trainig may be for only half an hour a day.

What are your ideals? Do dogs that are mostly contained have the added advantage of social drive as well as the benefits of prey drive.

Edited by Lablover

K9: when I raise a working pup, it goes everywhere with me & lives with me. It doesnt run with the other dogs less Im there.

Until the dog is trained it doesnt ever run free to live with other dogs.

It is crated in house at nite, penned during the day if not with me.

I do exactly the same with our working pups. I am in a fortunate position that I can take our pups to work with me at least for their first nine months whilst in training.

They are not allowed to run with our other dogs either unless we are there for that period of time either. I have found this extremely beneficial with our line of work and the unique relationship we have with them.

K9 force,

I was wondering if all working dogs used in various police forces around the world are neutured?

The reason I ask is if the males are not, how are they trained to ignore bitches in season (distraction training I am sure, but when at work are they reliable?) and which is the higher drive NATURALLY in dogs sex or prey?

Edited by Lablover

I do exactly the same with our working pups. I am in a fortunate position that I can take our pups to work with me at least for their first nine months whilst in training.

They are not allowed to run with our other dogs either unless we are there for that period of time either. I have found this extremely beneficial with our line of work and the unique relationship we have with them.

Sardog!!!! Good to see you visit DOL. :mad:)

K9 you are going to laugh.

I ended up buying a few Schutzhund training videos featured with Bernard Flinks.

They are interesting in their use of prey drive instead of the older force methods. I need to watch them again of course, as it was very late night/early morning viewing.

The favourite article was mentioned on a few of the vidoes. Ummmm, but what if they are already retrieving their favourite article, what can I use as a higher value item? Using the same value item (as a reward) is still a concern of mine.

Training the motivational retrieve and Building drive focus and grip.

One of my labs had a mouthing problem which K9 force kindly supplied exercises to work on. They are shown outstanding results so far.

Thus my interest in how Schutzhund/protection dogs are trained.