Couple Of Questions

Funny you should say that - I have literally just bought a kong toy for her! Apparently the best thing to fill it with is peanut butter - is that right? Also, should I limit the amount she has?

Can I get your advice on one other thing. Sometimes during the day when I am cleaning the house or cleaning up her messes, I want her to stay outside. If I put her outside and close the glass door she immediately begins to cry. I have tried leaving her out there with toys and bones and even her dinner but always the same thing - she won't eat unless I am out there sitting with her - how do I overcome this?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately one of the only ways to get her used to it - if your neighbours can stand it - is to ignore her and not to reinforce the crying by going out when she is doing it. Wait till she is quiet bafore you go out. She crys because it works and gets the result she wants which is your attention. She is training you well! :thumbsup: You may find the crying gets worse for a while, but if you hang on, it should get less.

If you go to the kong company website ( www.kongcompany.com ) they have some great ideas about different ways to stuff a kong toy. the way I prefer is to use small dry type treats (Those little cat treats for example or break up things like dried liver or sausage etc) in the middle that will come out as she rolls it around, but seal the end with peanut butter or cream cheese or similar.

I know if I get the crate she will cry horribly - she hates to be trapped anywhere - even managed to dig her way out of my back yard yesterday and was picked up by a stranger.

Buy a crate for her when she is inside. Keep the crate in your bedroom for a period of time if necessary. When you are in the house, keep the crate/pup in teh busiest part of the house.

By the way - in response to some questions - I do this routine every morning without fail.  It is very rare that she doesn't actually do all her business at this time while we are outside and if she doesn't, I usually take her for a quick stroll around the block to try and encourage her.

Remember too young pups often do not void just once after a period of time of rest. You may have to spend a little more time waiting.

You are on the right track. Just before my young ones show that they are about to go, I voice cue them "toilet" and praise them. Keep at it.

Edited by Lablover

I don't believe it is a necessity to crate train, but it certainly can be valuable.

However, simply being in the crate won't stop your puppy from going to the toilet. Yes, they will instinctively try not to soil their sleeping area, but you need to take into account how long your puppy is physically capable of holding on.