Self Vaccination

ellz

then of course there is at least a 15 min consult for some pups (@$80 p/h for most vets) and a I have gone in for a routine 12 week vaccinate that has taken 3/4 hour, because i had some concerns

At least you've managed to get your money's worth. The vast majority of the 6 - 8 week checks that most vets have given MY puppies in the past 20 years have been limited to a pat on the head, look in the mouth and/or ears (not usually both) and a fiddle between the legs in the case of a boy. THIS is where part of my difficulty in paying for a "consultation" comes about.....

And before you all jump up and down and tell me to find a new vet.......I AM TRYING!

Hi Ellz

no my vet is great, he will help where he can and he will give a written report, I kid you not, on every puppy in the litter he examines, including weight. I am very happy with the service I receive and he is only a phone call or email away when I have a problem too.

We have 6 clinics in town and I would only ever use three of them. One is an old style vet where he calls it as he sees it and doesn't allow emotion (getting owners to spend vast fortunes to drag out a dogs death for 6months) to get in the way, another that is very knowledgeable, thou can be a $$$ and my vet, he now has an assistant who is excellent, we have a great working relationship within my clinic and they like my family doctor, are jsut that, my family vet :(

Ellz, I understand fully, where you are coming from and if every breeder had the brains, know how and decency, I would say we shoudl all be allowed to self vaccinate, but sadly, there are those that ruin it for the honest majority

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it depends on what the test is for, mine would add any where from 20-100% depending, thou they still kept the unnecessary Factor 8 test down to $80, plus a consult :(, down the road it was $200!

Not a lot Lablover.....

Yes, there is a mark-up but its only enough so that the clinic doesn't have to cover the cost of actually preparing the samples - time taken to draw a blood sample, fill out forms, cost of phone calls, blood tubes etc.

Thanks. As mentioned I am not particularly worried what my vet charges me.

Nevertheless one night when the practice was closed, I was concerned about one of my labs. Rather than wait the night out, I visited an emergency centre. They suggested the dog stay overnight, to which I agreed. I was a little bemused when they insisted on giving me a quote!!!. No wonder. The quote was for $650.00 for 8 hours, plus medication. She had suspected tetanus. She was fine. The diagnosis turned out to be some type of sting.

Oh well, that life with dogs. I did not give THEM any vino.

I happily paid the account in the morning. I was so glad it was not tetanus. They suggested the inpatient care might have been for at last a week possibly two. A nurse at the centre wanted to buy her as she was a good patient. Wonder what she would have offered me??? :(:mad:mad

We do about a 30% markup on the routine stuff...and for the reasons that Rappie said.

Bear in mind that the emergency centre probably has the machines on-site, and they cost a fortune to rent and maintain.

We send our blood off...so we wait for the results...mostly impatiently. LOL

Mel.

I get blood tests done on my dogs every 6 weeks (pedantic, I know :mad:mad )...

To buy the vials, draw the blood myself, and deliver them to the lab saves me all of $15 .... So I get the vet to do it :(