Barf Patties

Can someone tell me if the BARF Patties you buy in the big rolls (12 to a roll) are a complete diet?

a guy in the pet store yesterday told me that it needs to be supplimented as it does not contain everything... he suggested missing link.

now I have no qualms giving Missing Link to gilbert - it's going to be good for him - but Mika is only 1... will the suppliments be detrimental to her?

I'm no expert in BARF. But, what I've been told by BARF devotees, is that those patties are sufficient.

I have been told by vets and pet food warehouse people that dogs need "scientifically formulated" biscuits to supplement. Those are the ones that cost a fortune. Personally, I'm with the BARF people- the patties are sufficient.

I have no experience with BARF patties, but just remember that pet shops want to make money and it's to their advantage if you buy lots of supplements, therefore they will always recommend them. Likewise vets will always advise that your dog must be fed a certain type of expensive dry food, it's just coincidence that it's a brand that the vet happens to sell. I recommend that you check out the ingredients and chemical analysis on the BARF packaging and make up your own mind. Also there are probably people on DOL who already feed the patties and I'm sure they'll be able to tell you their own experiences.

I've never even heard of BARF patties but I'd tend to beware. If they come in a roll doesn't that negate many of the reasons behind a natural diet, the chewing of raw, meaty bones and the fact that they are not supposed to get a 'complete' meal every time they eat?

Edited by haven

The patties are meant to be used as the meat/vegi mush portion of a Barf Diet the recipes for such being in Billinghursts book "Give your dog a Bone"

Raw Meaty bones are still meant to be fed.

The Patties are for those who do not have time to do the vegie mush thing themselves.

Thats my take on it anyway. They come in different mixes I believe.

I get the patties and i got a little booklet that has all the ingredients in there and i personally couldnt make it up myself so i buy these.

Both dogs get half a pattie each but i mix it in with dry food so they get everything they need that way and they get either frames or bones in the morning.

Ever since being on patties Novas coat is alot healthier and looks gorgeous.

Darcy is being raised on this and he is turning out very well, he isnt fat nor thin and his coat is gorgeous as with his pearly whites. :)

The BARF patties I am referring to are linked with Dr Billinghurst.

Mika and gilbert also get necks and bones as well... the patties also have chunks of chicken frames in them...

The "Roll" is the name of the packaging... it is not a pet roll like the supermarket. There are twelve individual patties in each roll - and the food is raw with the veggies and the meat and bone contents.

Thanks for the replies.

I'd be sending Dr B an email saying that one of his suppliers is ill representing his product. The person you spoke to is in need of some serious education - what makes him think that dry biscuits would be any more nutritionally complete? If you ask me they are what needs supplementing with products such as Missing Link. Omega 3, 6 and 9 deplete over time in dry foods, so should be added to the diet - I'm not sure what goes into these patties but I'm sure they would contain everything that the dog wouldn't get from its RMB's.

I've looked into getting these for my dogs, but it all seems so difficult (no local suppliers etc) and if you just want to order a small amount for yourself without becoming a supplier it is incredibly expensive :)

I use the BARF patties and have been for a few months. I just feed chicken bones(frames, wings or necks) a few nights a week for their teeth and a marrow bone every Saturday after tracking!

I have had great success with them-my eldest dog has brightened up and looks/acts 10 years younger!

It is on the expensive side, but definitely worth it!

I know the supplier in Perth if anyone is interested.

Georgia.

Jeanne, it was not one of his suppliers... it was a different store where I mentioned the dogs diets...

Gilbert is doing so well on them (was never able to really keep weight on him on bickies) but he is filling out some more now :)

And mika's coat is looking great (and is growing - though not sure if the diet has much to do with that)