What Exactly Is "training In Drive"

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know he is not affraid?

He goes out of his way to seek confrontation with other dogs - particularly other entire males. Other dogs he meets, he's often rude to them (mounting behaviour etc), but he won't actually attack them.

I can tell when he wants to fight a dog, the first sign is that he looks straight at them and kind of stiffens up. If they don't act submissive, he puts his hackles up, puts his tail RIGHT up, stands on his tiptoes and belly growls at them. If they still aren't submissive, he'll spring at them.

I could be wrong, but I've always read that as rank not fear aggression.

BTW regardless if your dog is fear or rank agressive he is dangerous.... unfortunatelly. Speaking from experience here.....

Sorry, should have said that they thought he was a danger to me. He's not - never acts at all cocky or rude round the house. :(

K9: he sounds rank, but dont assume that your not in danger, another reason that I would need to see your dog is too asses the risk that your under, handler aggression is common with frustrated rank dogs...

You could easily be the outlet (drive satisfaction) if he fails on a lunge...

He goes out of his way to seek confrontation with other dogs - particularly other entire males. Other dogs he meets, he's often rude to them (mounting behaviour etc), but he won't actually attack them.

I can tell when he wants to fight a dog, the first sign is that he looks straight at them and kind of stiffens up. If they don't act submissive, he puts his hackles up, puts his tail RIGHT up, stands on his tiptoes and belly growls at them. If they still aren't submissive, he'll spring at them.

Join the club, mine does the same.

So what happens when your dogs genetic drives do not fall into any of these categories, such as in a herding dog? 

K9: ? A herding dog is usually loaded with prey drive...

A better example for this question may be a LGD who is bred and selected specifically for low prey drive and also has minimal food drive.

K9: it sure can, remember the trigger or stimuli is what decides the drive, big dog could trigger defence drive, small dog trigger rank drive...

Triggers are made from many component, strong handler equals dog in defence drive when see's other dog, weak handler triggers rank ....

K9: he sounds rank, but dont assume that your not in danger

Well, you're the expert :(

I've always assumed that he would never bite me, since he's very polite and submissive at home, and has never turned on me before even when angry at other dogs. But you're right, he could re-direct at me if he really gets frustrated. I should probably keep that in mind.

Triggers are made from many component, strong handler equals dog in defence drive when see's other dog, weak handler triggers rank ....

Okie dokie - I understand on lead, what happends off lead? no handler near.

Talking theory here, not that my dog shouldnt be of lead in certain situations :(

Oh and I just cant resist :rofl: am I a strong or a weak handler ? :eek:

K9: A low drive dog will only be able to be trained in avoidance then? as it has no motivation.

No pray no fodd. Maybe PLAY?? and play might mean soemthing different to that dog than to lets say a boxer? :(:eek:

Many LGDs have for hundreds of years been specifically selected for these traits. Low prey drive, ability to work independently, ability not to react when a rather large ram steps on their feet. Most have a low metabolic rate and are not overly interested in food.

Welcome to my world :(

I got it, I think - the weak and strong handler bit. Well I took it as physically strong... Correct me if Im wrong please.

Situation 1

Im in a small park talking to a neighbour not paying much attention to whats happening, his and my dog play having time of their live. Another dog goes by, my dog runs to check it out happends to be a male and "eats" it.

Im a weak handler, he does it in rank.

Situation 2

Dog on lead, I notice that he isnt happy and instead of walking away preventing the situation I attempt to push the limits of the dog, tell it to sit stay, tight leash. Another dog - again a male comes too close, my dog has no way of escaping (strong handler) and "eats" the other out of fear.

Appart from several issues as a handler that I am guilty of, have I got the theory right?

Edited by myszka

E:

Many LGDs have for hundreds of years been specifically selected for these traits. Low prey drive, ability to work independently, ability not to react when a rather large ram steps on their feet. Most have a low metabolic rate and are not overly interested in food.

K9: Livestock Guardian dogs are far from the best active herding dogs. You may have missed the section in which we were talki ng about herding, not stock guarding.

No, I wasnt talking about herding dogs or herding per se. I was giving LGDs as perhaps a better example than a herding dog of a dog with low prey drive when the question was asked, what would you do with a dog with a low prey drive. I too do not consider herding breeds to be low prey drive.

I can say 'Ready!" and Zoe is instantly ready to go - I use this before doing agility.

BUT I don't use prey drive in agility - it is mostly doing the obstacles she finds rewarding (I use food with new obstacles or contacts and for recall at the end, but the focus when I say 'ready' is on the first obstacle).

Is this an example of a trigger word for working in drive? If so, which drive?

K:

I can say 'Ready!" and Zoe is instantly ready to go - I use this before doing agility.

K9: this word forms part of your trigger. If you say ready in the lounhge room at home, does your dog go into drive?

K:

BUT I don't use prey drive in agility - it is mostly doing the obstacles she finds rewarding (I use food with new obstacles or contacts and for recall at the end, but the focus when I say 'ready' is on the first obstacle).

Is this an example of a trigger word for working in drive? If so, which drive?

K9: probably play or food, only the dog can tell you what it wants