QLD Woman Loses ArmAfter Vicious Dog Attack

Deeds

Within a week-10 days 5 dogs have been shot by police. 

One in Perth where the dog attacked police when they attended the property.

Then police shot 3 dogs that mauled the woman in Melbourne and now this one dog shot in Qld.

You have to wonder what made the dogs like that.  A tragic situation for everyone involved.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Deeds said:

You have to wonder what made the dogs like that. 

@Deeds, in my thread “Now I Am Afraid” I wrote about how I was just weeding two of the next door dogs body slammed the fence again and again to the extent it was rocking.  I was terrified, went upstairs and shut all my dogs and myself inside until they had calmed down.  They were already riled up from running around, barking at anything and everything.  

Yesterday my lawn mower guy came over to do some work for me in the gardens (not mowing so no noisy machines) and they were going ballistic.  

• Sad 5

20 hours ago, Deeds said:

You have to wonder what made the dogs like that.  A tragic situation for everyone involved.

Just worth noting that we see multiple news reports of this sort just before some level of government are looking to enact even stricter animal keeping legislation. The last time we saw a rise in dog attack news reports was just before the Queensland state government pushed through their new laws which included banning a number of dog breeds (and their crosses)... just sayin'...

Other states are looking at doing similar to Queensland's new legislation... and media reporting certainly has the effect of engendering public support for such changes. Unfortunately, while we are all for stronger laws regarding who is responsible for dog attacks and the harshness of the penalties, the legislation also tends to go further than just addressing the actual issue of dog attacks - as with the Qld banning of certain breeds and their crosses, there is no actual guideline as to what constitutes the defining characteristics of breed/crosses, so a vague visual of a tan bull breed type dog can be labelled a pitbull without actually needing to prove the actual breed type, and a declaration can be made after such a vague visual observation regardless whether the dog in question has shown any aggressive behaviours or not.

T.

• Sad 1

On 13/10/2024 at 5:59 AM, tdierikx said:

Just worth noting that we see multiple news reports of this sort just before some level of government are looking to enact even stricter animal keeping legislation. The last time we saw a rise in dog attack news reports was just before the Queensland state government pushed through their new laws which included banning a number of dog breeds (and their crosses)... just sayin'...

Other states are looking at doing similar to Queensland's new legislation... and media reporting certainly has the effect of engendering public support for such changes. Unfortunately, while we are all for stronger laws regarding who is responsible for dog attacks and the harshness of the penalties, the legislation also tends to go further than just addressing the actual issue of dog attacks - as with the Qld banning of certain breeds and their crosses, there is no actual guideline as to what constitutes the defining characteristics of breed/crosses, so a vague visual of a tan bull breed type dog can be labelled a pitbull without actually needing to prove the actual breed type, and a declaration can be made after such a vague visual observation regardless whether the dog in question has shown any aggressive behaviours or not.

T.

the crux of the problem is that particular type is incredibly efficient at tearing the target to pieces. the type was bred to do exactly that in dog fighting.

if a kelpie, coolie, border collie, cattledog, german shepherd, attacks someone whatever the reason,  being a herding dog you dont lose an arm or a leg.

backing up out of their home zone will usually get you out of the threat zone, same with the majority of Doberman and rotties.

some other breeds were bred to kill, they just keep coming. its interesting how similar in type the efficient killers are if it decides to attack

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

was asked only recently how could a chap save his dog that the local ranger had decided was a potentially dangerous pit bull.  From my and my vets experience both of us have been asked to put the puppy is a jack russell although we knew for certain what breed we were looking at.  Most dont seem to say Am staff, instead anymore.

his dog he knew is a purebred pit bull as is his other one, suggested he buy one of those dangerous dog runs with a roof and maybe the ranger will let him keep him.  It all blew up when he got out onto the street and the neighbours called the ranger.

only advice I could think of

Edited by asal

Is this dog desexed, trained? "got out onto the street" means it was not under effective control and now it has learned it can get out. The man should own his choices, take responsibility and call it what it is.