Dog stairs/ramp

kmit

I have 2 cavaliers, who both sleep on my bed. My older one, now 9, has become more reluctant to jump up and down by himself. He has no signs of pain, but my bed is 70cm high so it has always been quite a jump. I would like to get him some stairs so he can go up and down by himself, but I can't find any that are tall enough. I would also ideally like some that I can put sideways at the foot of the bed, as otherwise they would take up too much space sticking out into the room. Any suggestions?

Are you or anyone you know handy with wood and tools? You could make up a stair frame with pine framing struts and brackets from Bunnings, then use plywood to make the actual stair platforms on the frame. This would be relatively lightweight if you use 18x18mm pine framing and 7mm thick ply. It's actually easier than you think to make.

T.

• Like 1

You could also look for a long ramp that runs alongside the length of the bed if you can make that work in your space. It will provide a more moderate incline; little dogs can slip slide around even on a good quality non slip surface due to their coefficient of friction. I’ve seen some relatively skinny ones marketed towards Dachshunds and other smalls.

On a related note, I’d suggest checking out Canine Arthritis Management. On Facebook they have a group called “CAM Product Share and Reviews AUSTRALIA” which may be another good place to ask this question. It’s best to avoid it anyway due to the wear and tear on their joints, but your boy’s increasing reluctance to jump up and down is a sign of pain. Dogs are very, very good at hiding pain. So talk to your vet so you can get treatment started for whatever is painful in his body (probably arthritis) and delay progression of the disease. By the time you see him yelping, whimpering and limping his pain will be severe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TzgqyPMv7Tk

• Like 2

I spent a fortune buying stairs and ramps for my old stafford girl but she wouldn't use them. I did have some success with a set of stairs that I attached a kids slide to for a bit. I really think they felt too flimsy underfoot for her. But eventually I found a carpet covered ramp someone had made and they are still at the base of my bed some 4 years later. Loads of dogs have used them. Jumping down remained a problem so I had to get one of those barriers you put up along kids beds too to force my girl to use the ramp in both directions (you can see it and her in the pic). She was also on Antinol Rapid (provided by vet originally but you can buy direct from company) and she did really well  on it. Despite her arthritis she remained pretty active and was a real oldie when she passed.

319032154_673942360802908_485218553869459549_n.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little Gifts said:

Jumping down remained a problem .

That's what I found too, LG.  The dogs (all long since gone to god) would all use the stairs, but jump off.  I finally had to bite the bullet and not let on the bed and the dogs I have now can't get up on their own.  I'll get them up for snuggles, but have to lift them down before I go to sleep.  I have just started to foster a little Pomeranian and he just leaps onto the bed as though he was just taking a step :heart: :heart: .  It's lovely having a little dog cuddling again - he crawls right under the bedclothes and lies on my legs LOL.  

• Like 3