Fiery Clash at Dog Park Over Unleashed Dog

Deeds

What  bloody idiot! He doesn't look too steady on his feet and if something happened with his dog I doubt he'd be much use in getting there quickly or getting things under control on his own. Doesn't look like he even has a leash with him!

We tried Albert out at a dog park today (pei event) to see where he was at with his fearfulness. As soon as the dogs behind the fence came over to say hello he got escalated. So we took him for a leashed walk instead. But had a loose even friendly dog come up to him he would've totally lost the plot. I would've been livid had I come across this selfish arsehole. His dogs needs are not more important than my own.

• Like 3

From what was in the video, it appears that the people kicking up the stink were worried that their dog that had been free running in the fenced dog park might have issues with other dogs, and they seemed worried that their dog might have wanted to react unfavorably to the other guy's loose dog.

I think that both owners could have handled the situation better - the guy with the off leash dog outside the park seemed to be a bit of an entitled pr!ck, but the people filming and kicking off about his dog stopping them from leaving the fenced area could have just waited until he and his dog had passed, then left safely without any real fuss.

LG, your Albert and my Alice seem to be very similar... Alice gets anxious around other dogs and can get very noisy, but not aggressive thank dog.

T.

• Like 3

I couldn't understand what the problem was? Was the it the old guys dog running around, the black and white dog and the couple had their dog in the gate? The article said the man was inside the dog park but the couple were trying to leave. I couldn't make sense of the video.

When I watched it the loose dog seemed to be running around and around the fenced dog park, meaning that when the couple tried to leave with their dog aggressive dog it might have run up to them and caused some chaos. The other guy was just letting his dog do whatever it wanted, didn't see a leash and didn't hear him attempt to give it any commands to come to his side. Basically it seemed like an avoidable scene just waiting to happen.

And T,  Albert is not aggressive either and doesn't accidentally turn on humans when he is fearful either. He basically starts screaming and barking to tell other dogs to back off and  leave him  alone. He is usually trying to get away from them while doing it. He has gotten a little better (we can get closer if they aren't coming towards him or looking at him) but his fear is sadly real.  I suspect while he had entropian and couldn't see he lived in a lot of fear from the other dogs around him. His entire body was covered in little nip wounds when he came to us and he has a small chunk out of his ear and some  patches where no hair grows on a leg and down his side from scar tissue. Poor bugger.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Little Gifts said:

He basically starts screaming and barking to tell other dogs to back off and  leave him  alone. He is usually trying to get away from them while doing it.

Sounds very much like Alice's reaction to other dogs... and she gets that "staffy scream" going on, which is distinctively loud and has just the right pitch to hurt your ears. She doesn't redirect onto her handler though, just intensely focuses on the object of her anxiety and screams. No aggression, just anxiety and doesn't seem to know what to do unless told what we want of her. We have had good success with a check chain to get her attention back on me and to follow my lead. A check chain used properly is a magical thing, just check and release, and I can get her focus back to me and loose lead walking until she sees another object to be unsure of.

What gets me about the situation in the OP is why, if their dog has the tendency to want to attack other dogs that might come up to it, the people that kicked up the fuss have taken it to an off-lead park where the chance of meeting other dogs is so high. Their dog looks to be a large breed and could do a lot of damage if it did decide to react badly to another dog. Maybe they need to rethink their exercise strategy for their dog and only take it to places it won't necessarily come into contact with another offlead dog. What would have happened if someone else had wanted to run their dog in the fenced offlead area they were using? Or had they possibly guarded the gate and warned off others who might have wanted to use the area until they had finished? From that video, I'm thinking that may have been the case too... which is just as stupid and entitled behaviour as that from the guy with the offlead dog outside the fenced area.

While I'd love to take Alice somewhere to have a really good run and get some easy exercise (easy for me that is), I wouldn't dream of taking her to an offlead park and letting her do so. We've bought a flirt pole and I exercise her in my yard with it at regular intervals... and she loves it! 10 minutes of chasing a ball or the flirt pole flare and she's knackered... win-win!

T.

• Like 2

Strangely T we have a large dog park nearby and we rarely see a dog there (we go Sunday afternoons). It has a gate at both ends too so if someone were to turn up we would simply exit from the other end. All open so we can see people coming. It's part of Albert's desensitisation. He goes where other dogs have been (sniffing is his number 1 hobby) but has a positive experience. It took 3 visits of this nature for him to not be so tense even going there. Each time we go he indicates when he has had enough too and that is also getting longer. I'm always looking out for other dog parks less frequented now so we can try different spots. Maybe this video was a similar scenario? It was empty and they wanted their dog to have a run but now they can't leave because of a loose dog that the owner is not controlling?

We also exercise Albert at home playing soccer and with those big balls people exercise with. We want to get him a stronger horse type one. We've got a big block and he has zoomies at least once a day which we get involved in. Might have to look into a flirt pole to try!

• Like 4