Wanting to become an official registered pedigree dog breeder query. Looking for advice.

Hi,

I was previously registered with some Pet breeder organizations when I had one English Staffordshire Bull Terrier which I bred with a stud dog although were not pedigrees and it was a very pleasant and educational experience. She has since retired and lives with my elderly mum as a great companion. I then moved to Sydney for my Veterinary studies in the Sydney School of Veterinary Sciences and now that I have returned to Melbourne, would like to give it another go but would like to start from scratch and I want to contribute to a breed's standards and pedigree lineages but cannot decide on a breed as I am unbiased although have a relatively small yard and home of around 500 meters square. I've learnt a great deal on breeding and pedigrees from some of the world's greatest veterinary reproduction clinicians and professors and would love to share my knowledge in the non-clinical setting. 
I am well aware of the breeder societies rules and membership requirements' (especially the veterinary requirements) but would like other people's professional advice on any particular breeds that are not as highly bred in excess or even factory farmed (like the stories you hear about poodle breeds and crosses and even frenchies, etc.). I have no budget limit or fees particularly when it comes to veterinary visits and costs. Some ideas I relish are blue english staffies, cavalier king charles spaniels, chihuahuas and also Dachunds. Also as contradictory it may seem, to not purchase from private and possibly illegal sources, am hesitant in rescuing shelter dogs due to their non-pedigree origins and am also very well aware of shelter medicine and operations so know they are not at that much of a crisis as the lay public and advocates make it seem, and obviously pedigree breeders exist for a reason because their practice is completely legal. 

Please  provide your advice and input, thank you.

Ant. 

as a vet you would be aware how many blue staffies have skin problems, that there are many CKCS being bred and their health problems, I don't know much about the other two breeds. I suggest you decide on a breed and go from there. If you want to do it properly then you will need to join your states registry body ( DogsVic ). Any good shelter or rescue will only sell you desexed dogs. You need a good, ethical breeder to mentor you.

• Like 3

Have a look at the breeds with low registration numbers, the rare terrier and toy breeds, or other rare breeds. They could do with a helping hand. You should consider this a

long term venture. You will need to do your apprenticeship with an established breeder, and not consider becoming a breeder straight away for your own amusement. 

You may be required to be a co-owner first until you prove you are genuine, and could help import new bloodlines (dogs or semen). Be prepared to promote your breed by competing in competitions and attending display days. 

Edited by Mairead
More info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The market is completely saturated at present.  Vets tell me pups are coming back for third vaccinations and all breeds are having difficulty being sold. Rescues are at peak levels.  

This will remain the case for a long time until the status quo is restored.

As mentioned,  Cavaliers have many health issues and are banned in some countries.  You should be aware of this as a vet I would have thought.  They have been very over bred and cheap.

Will you have time for all that is involved in rearing pups and then potentially being unable to home them?

I think any breeder would love to know of a breed they could be guaranteed to sell pups from in the current market.

Off my soap box - I believe the dog you breed should be the breed you actually love.

• Like 4

I have been following with great interest , the breeding of a litter of a rare breed dog. The breeder has spent weeks 24/7 with the pups, has lost about 4kg , and has had to put their life on hold for the past couple of months. They are breeding for the benefit of the breed, and absolutely EVERYTHING has been done to assure a litter of healthy and well-educated pups.
If you find a breed in need of a helping hand , be prepared to give it your all. Breeding ethically and responsibly is NOT producing pups the public love - it is researching what a chosen breed needs to improve it , and then dedicating a chunk of your life. 

• Like 5

Don't forget detective skills to interrogate potential homes. I found asking what age the previous dogs were when they died, and what they died from, very revealing. "Stupid dog jumped off the back of the ute" was a memorable one.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Im going to be that person who says i dont particularly value a vets knowledge on pedigrees & breeding as most know except from what comes out of a book have no great knowledge to hand over .
Vets have no idea who individual dogs are in pedigrees or what value ,faults they contribute .No vet unless an amazing breeder will give "special " knowledge they dont actually know themselves & i can safely say as someone who has used repo vets not one of them has knowledge on my dogs pedigrees .
Being a repo vet doesnt equate to knowing about breeding .
Im going to say GOOD Breeders are who the vets contact to learn from .
Over the years even as a breeder & having buyers contact us regarding some total rubbish their vet has told them you will find many in the know have the same thing .
Vet doesnt equate to a ethical/moral breeder .
Infact in my breed the worse puppy farmers are vets .

But im going to say this post screams No knowledge what so ever & red flags plus a whole lot of nothing plus the biggest red flag when someone claims so much knowledge & supposedly had litters and not knowing the correct name of a breed . 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 8

It is the difference between two people with many years experience.

One has one year's experience repeated many times and the other has been learning every moment of those many years.

• Like 1

If you are going to want to breed dogs in Victoria, you might want to look at the laws/legislation regarding what you are legally required to do to be a breeder... and it's not as simple as you may think.

Victoria already has some very stringent laws pertaining to the breeding of dogs, and it's only going to get more restrictive when they finally push through their new animal care and protection act. You will not only need to be a member of DogsVic or similar, you will need to register yourself as a domestic animal business and get local council approvals/permits regarding the number and type of dogs you have on your property, just to name a couple of costly startup measures even before you can put 2 dogs together. Then you need to know and follow more legislated regulations and COPs if/when you do decide to produce any litter of pups. There have been reports of breeders being refused applications regarding breeding in a number of local government areas, so good luck there...

T.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

But im goin to say this post screams No knowledge what so ever & red flags plus the biggest red flag when someone claims so much knowledge in not knowing the correct name of a breed their highly interested in 

OP mentioned blue staffies but not colour dilution alopecia, cavs but not Chiari malformation.

But I think we are now providing info for the viewers rather than the OP.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, tdierikx said:

If you are going to want to breed dogs in Victoria, you might want to look at the laws/legislation regarding what you are legally required to do to be a breeder... and it's not as simple as you may think.

T.

I have been breeding dogs in Victoria for 49 years and have to say that the number and type of regulations concerning breeding dogs get more onerous and ridiculous every year. On occasion I have argued with the Govt. about the practicalities of various requirements but their heads are in the clouds and they have little practical experience so I eventually gave up!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 16/08/2024 at 11:48 AM, JRG said:

I have been breeding dogs in Victoria for 49 years and have to say that the number and type of regulations concerning breeding dogs get more onerous and ridiculous every year. On occasion I have argued with the Govt. about the practicalities of various requirements but their heads are in the clouds and they have little practical experience so I eventually gave up!

Yes, that is the problem in spades, these politicians are literally falling over themselves to prove how proactive they are in drafting "animal welfare" legislation with not a clue about the actual practicalities and accept "advice" from "adviser's" with an extinction agenda of both the animals and the breeders.  

Along with the fact that the "enforcement" only applies to those silly enough to be registered breeders who can be traced because they have joined registers. .

as for forcing them to become a registered business at the mercy of councils who on the main will NOT permit any registered dog or cat breeding "businesses in their area,  Complete win, win for the Peta extinction agenda.

The stupidity list just gets longer and longer.

At least the good side is the majority of puppies and kittens today are not coming from the targeted breeders. So we and the general public will still be able to find a pet after all the rest are sent to extinction.

Drove to Bilpin yesterday and counted 5 signs beside the road with  puppy's to sale, I know three of the people and none of their dogs, although purebreds are generations of unregistered and their owners have never been a registered breeder.

Well remember another friend many decades ago bought a chihuahua pup from me and crossed him to her foxie's to create miniature foxie's.

Cant remember when some ANKC breeders became interested in making them a registered breed and eventually they became Tenterfield Terriers. 

But for over 50 years they had spread far and wide as are so, so many breeds, both recognised and ankc unrecognised.

remember the pool of stumpy tailed cattle dogs that turned up at classification days when the ankc opened to studbook to upgrate to purebred when the breed had been reduce to only one registered breeder?

a friend has been breeding wire haired, what he calls, Stumpy tailed Qld heelers for over 70 years.  they tend to be larger and more heavily boned than ANKC standard ASTCD"s and definitely Wire haired.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1