Parvovirus Symptoms in Dogs and Prevention Tips

Hello DOL Forums Community,

I’m reaching out for advice on parvovirus in dogs. What are the signs to watch for and how can I protect my dogs from it?

I've read that common symptoms include severe vomiting, bloody diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, fever, weight loss, and abdominal pain. If these symptoms appear, it’s important to get to a vet quickly for tests and treatment.

For prevention, I know vaccination is key. Also, limiting exposure to places where many dogs gather, keeping their living area clean, and quarantining new pets can help. When I was searching about it, I came across these resources https://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/274996-interesting-article-re-parvovirus/learn mendix however they are quite good but I would love to hear about your experiences. How did you first notice the symptoms? What prevention methods have worked for you? Any tips on treatment and care would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

2 hours ago, Oliva Smith said:

Hello DOL Forums Community,

I’m reaching out for advice on parvovirus in dogs. What are the signs to watch for and how can I protect my dogs from it?

I've read that common symptoms include severe vomiting, bloody diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, fever, weight loss, and abdominal pain. If these symptoms appear, it’s important to get to a vet quickly for tests and treatment.

For prevention, I know vaccination is key. Also, limiting exposure to places where many dogs gather, keeping their living area clean, and quarantining new pets can help. When I was searching about it, I came across these resources https://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/274996-interesting-article-re-parvovirus/learn mendix however they are quite good but I would love to hear about your experiences. How did you first notice the symptoms? What prevention methods have worked for you? Any tips on treatment and care would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Vaccination...you said so yourself

• Like 3

vaccinate

I mean you can have a tray of disinfectant at your door that you can walk through and strip off clothes before coming in but it's all a bit extreme. I don't vaccinate after the basic puppy shots and the 15 month old booster unless I suspect the dogs were going into kennels. Then they get vaccinated. One of my 10 yo's last vaccination was nearly 4 years ago. She won't be getting another one. Those symptoms also apply to a lot of other things.

• Like 1

I'm with @Rebanne- initial puppy vaccinations and first adult booster, then no more unless needing to go into boarding kennels, and only then as most kennels demand it and won't accept titre test results showing immunity. Studies have shown that the C3 vaccine can have immunity results for all 3 diseases covered for up to 7 years, longer if the dog is exposed to small doses of the diseases at intervals during their life (such as would be encountered on daily walks, etc). Note that the kennel cough strains covered with the C5 vaccine only actually have good immunity effect for up to 6 months post vaccination.

Instead of annual or triannual vaccinations, you can titre test for immunity levels once the initial puppy course and first adult booster have established some immunity if you are concerned, and then vaccinate if those levels are below what is required for continued immunity.

As Rebanne says, the symptoms of parvo also can apply to other diseases, such as canine coronavirus, which is kind of a poor cousin of parvo, but can usually be treated more successfully, and the virus doesn't stay in the environment as long. Parvovirus spores can live in the environment for up to 2 years even in extremes of hot or cold temperatures, which is why it is imperative to vaccinate at least for initial immunity to get established. A single parvo laden dog turd has the potential to infect over 10,000 (and possibly double that number) animals... it is that potent...

T.

• Like 1

Unless your going to disinfect EVERY item you took out its a waste of time .
Taking shoes off okay maybe BUT never done it in near 40 yrs of owning dogs.
You would then need to dunk your bags,car tyres etc etc .
Preventation vaccinate or titer test .
Most people wait too long to seek a vet for parvo so dog dies before treatment or it has progressed to far .
The smell alone is enough for parvo  when you have experienced it .
I can safely tell the difference between parvo & say colitis but parvo is its own special thing .
Coomon sense but you cant bubble wrap everything 

• Like 2