How to Tell if Puppy is From Reputable Ethical Breeder . ABC News 24/7/24

Deeds

They are missing an obvious one. An ethical breeder asks questions to determine which of their pups might be a good match for you and your family. A puppy farmer shows you pics of the pups and just asks which one you want, like you are buying a product off a shelf (that comes in different colours).

• Like 2

Not all ethical breeders will want strangers traipsing all over their property to "see the parents and the conditions they live in"... but in this day and age of video calling, you can have a breeder do a tour of their place via facetime or similar method in real time.

I wouldn't buy any dog from someone who wants to do the handover of the "goods" in a public carpark... in what universe is that ever going to be kosher?

During the last NSW parliamentary inquiry into puppy farming, there were witnesses who inherently knew they were buying their pup from a puppy farm, but considered that they were "saving" is, so went ahead with the transaction... and one lady even went so far as to state on record that she wanted a puppy right then and didn't want to wait for one from elsewhere, so she bought a pup she knew was from a puppy farmer. Then there was the witness who didn't have any actual experience with buying from a puppy farmer, but she had seen stories about how evil they were on TV, which had formed her opinion... wtf??

T.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/07/2024 at 5:58 AM, tdierikx said:

Not all ethical breeders will want strangers traipsing all over their property to "see the parents and the conditions they live in"... but in this day and age of video calling, you can have a breeder do a tour of their place via facetime or similar method in real time.

I wouldn't buy any dog from someone who wants to do the handover of the "goods" in a public carpark... in what universe is that ever going to be kosher?

During the last NSW parliamentary inquiry into puppy farming, there were witnesses who inherently knew they were buying their pup from a puppy farm, but considered that they were "saving" is, so went ahead with the transaction... and one lady even went so far as to state on record that she wanted a puppy right then and didn't want to wait for one from elsewhere, so she bought a pup she knew was from a puppy farmer. Then there was the witness who didn't have any actual experience with buying from a puppy farmer, but she had seen stories about how evil they were on TV, which had formed her opinion... wtf??

T.

thanks to the expectation/right to inspect the breeders home to decide if they are up to your expectations, also means dog thieves can come, check out where everything is and then come back and take what they like too.

I took to refusing to let strangers come to my home anymore after puppies disappeared, in one case two were only 4 weeks old. the neighbour saw her coming down my drive when i was out shopping and asked her what are you doing?  She was told she had gone to the house to ask to use the phone but no one was home. I arrived home to discover the puppies missing. Noreen said she was wearing a big lumber jacket so can only surmise they were inside it.

all up had 4 stolen over a 2 year period, after we had to submit to inspection by all and sundry to prove your ethical... (and bloody stupid). two of the 4 were chipped so I did get them back when one was found wandering a highway, the other I recognised from a for sale add on Gumtree (the police had told me to keep checking gumtree) and called the police.

no one needs that kind of stress.

interestingly I did have the rspca rock up after meeting a person at KFC, the darling had reported I was living in the car with my dogs and were concerned.

I found it very curious that the rspca rocked up at my home after giving my license plate to the police and demanding my address?

(I know because I asked what was the complaint, then asked who gave you my address? That was early days 1990's when they answered questions)

considering I was reported as living in my car?

how did they expect to find me at a residential address?????

I for one am heartily sick and tired for being treated as a criminal. Interestingly the witch hunts began in the 1980's, a little research discovered same time as PETA was founded.  The dog world took up the cudgels to eliminate every backyard breeder and puppy farmer .   Even then I queried to my backyard breeder haters.   But hey? every one of you have what?  Beyond your back door?  Your calling for your own elimination?  

They just looked at me and hugged their self proclaimed "im ethical, I'm responsible" blanket to themselves and didn't believe me. Then made themselves busy, becoming the self styled (thought police as I came to think of them) dialling the rspca to report fellow members who they considered didn't march to "their" drum. Blissfully Ignorant other fellow members were dialling and dobbing them in for elimination.  Beautiful example of destruction from within.  Probably along the same lines as the Salem witch hunts so popular once.  (history seems to love to repeat?)

interestingly in 2000 a Victorian PETA representative went on air interview, stating "that the legislation's  passed to date has been so successful we expect the extinction of the domestic dog and cat within this generation".

mind her excitement was a little premature, the only ones on track to extinction are those bred by registered  breeders. last year 70,000 ANKC puppies were registered of which on average 80% minimum are desexed and probably another 10 to 15 percent will be as well.

Australia has approximately 6 million dogs which need an awful lot of replacements annually. that figure needed would be hundreds of thousands?  they sure wont be coming from any of the registered breeders or registered puppy farms.

they are coming from those who never chip and probably dont even vaccinate, if the number of unchipped puppies i have been asked to chip after their owner bought them that dont even have a vaccination card either?  (even more curious, not one of these people would tell me who or where they bought them? "I dont want to get them into trouble."   (Ah, the human mind is a lifelong study that's for sure)

Backed up by the majority of unchipped dogs and puppies flooding the pounds.  Their breeders are totally under any legal radar.

Their breeders will ensure PETA will be disappointed in achieving their aims.

paedophiles, rapists and murderers are innocent UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.  a Registered dog breeder?  GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT!

although I think my favourite was the cherub, who asked me,

After having paid for their darling puppy, been given all their paperwork, puppy food and instructions sheets and safely in their car for the obviously quick getaway, looked at me at me as if I were a prostitute (can only surmise that, considering what came next) then asked me. "how can you live with yourself, prostituting your fur child and selling your grand child?"

Yep this is the new order now.

WHAT IDIOT! would want to be a dog breeder today???????????????

Edited by asal
  • Sad 2