Tasmanian Labradoodles shuts down, with RSPCA calling for help to rehome more than 250 dogs

Redsonic

7 hours ago, asal said:

The RSPCA alleges the offending occurred between 5 April 2021 and 13 February 2023.

It will be alleged one of the dogs, listed as Barbie, had six litters between October 2020 and September 2022.

If the offending is listed as occurring between April 2021 and February 2023, please tell me why they are backdating Barbie's six alleged litters to October 2020?

I once had a Rottweiler who used to cycle every 3 months, but when she had a litter, she didn't cycle again until 6 months after that litter was born, then back to every 3 months until I bred her a second time roughly 18 months after that first litter. I desexed her after the second litter.

Even if a dog cycled 3 months after whelping, that would put a roughly 5.5 month gap between litters, factoring in a 9 week gestation. Then there is the roughly 10 days into the cycle until the bitch is receptive, so the actual time between litters is closer to 6 months minimum... so 6 litters in 2 years (or in this case 23 months) would be a physical impossibility IMHO. Work out 23 months divided by 6 and you have Barbie whelping roughly every 3.8 months... huh??? Technically, that would have her cycling and being mated/impregnated with nursing pups still at foot... think about that for a minute...

The only way "Barbie" could have 6 litters in 23 months is if there was some dodgy record keeping going on - which, although stupid, is not necessarily an indictable offence - nor is it actually/necessarily an animal welfare issue if more than one dog was used to represent "Barbie" in those dodgy records.

I'd say that in the case of Barbie and the 6 litters the breeders would have a good case to fight that particular charge. Copping to a record keeping stuff up is much smarter than accepting a physically impossible charge of animal cruelty.

Then again, this breeder may well have been guilty of other animal welfare charges... just not that one.

T.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...