Sporting Register..Who can Join ??

sheena

I would have thought that for a dog to be registered on the Sporting Register, it would have either had to have a pedigree or be an active member of sheep herding.  It seems I am wrong and any dog that calls itself a border collie or a kelpie can be registered on the SR & be allowed to be bred from & registered with dogs NSW without being desexed.  What is the point of having these registries if people are taking advantage of them. :confused:

Edited by sheena
more information

@sheena  Check the ANKC rules and regs .. it's all set out there.  The main reg is 6.8, but then there's a list of recognised bodies somewhere else.  As far as I know, to be registered entire on the SR, the dog must have a pedigree registration with one of several working organisations recognized by the ANKC  .. like ISDS. 

• Like 2

Yes that is what I have always believed, but I know of one dog, a red border collie without any papers or pedigree, (according to the owners) has managed to get on the SR without even having seen a sheep & they are going to run it in Dogs NSW trials entire & are intending to breed with it.  To me this just seems so wrong.  I know of someone else with a dog that looks like it could be a kelpie but has no pedigree & they have registered it with the SR.  Fortunately that dog is desexed, but once again it has never seen a sheep.  If this sort of thing is going on, where is the protection for breeders selling their dogs on Limited Register??