Walking Early Mornings

MrsR17

Hi All

Last week I received a letter in my mailbox advising that my dog was howling for two days in a row (only) from 5:30am to 8am and that if I didn't do something about it, that I would be reported to the local council.

I have a 7 year old huntaway x name Mack who is amazing, who I've never had a problem with before (nor been told howls during the day either) that I am trying to the best for and  so I've started walking him at 5:15am for 20 minutes every morning to get any energy out before I head to work at 6:30am.

As we head into the colder months it is darker later in the mornings and my concern is that we are trying to do a quick lap of block in darkness and it can be a little bit creepy! 

Is there any tips or tricks that anyone can share about walking in the dark, anything they carry incase they come across loose dogs etc or know of any early morning dog walking groups that we can meet and do a lap together before work to stay safe in Brisbane North?

Thanks in advance  ......:)

(please be kind...first post ever)

Head lamp is the first thing that comes to mind - I got one from Wollies years ago (two actually) just cheap kids ones - and they're still going strong.  Reason I say head lamp over torch is that it leaves both hands free.  Light for the dogs collar - not necessary but again- gives some light off. 

Always have your phone on you and fully charged.  Don't go into seedy places, but if you feel the need vary your route. 

There's another thread on here at the moment about a dog scratching at a door - with some good suggestions for making "outside more fun".

Good on you for being proactive.  It might not even be your dog - sound - especially howls travel strangely sometimes.  Maybe check around with your neighbours and let them know you're trying to resolve the problem (if there really is one) but for them to please text you immediately if they have concerns about your dog howling & obviously give them your number. 

• Like 1

When I used to walk in the dark I would stick to footpaths along major roads. Better lighting and fewer straying dogs. I avoided well vegetated places for my own safety. The dark dogs wore reflective collars. The white one doesn't need it, she is visible enough.  I used a head lamp and wore light coloured clothes. Maybe leave a meaty bone with your dog when you leave, by the time it is finished he may not feel the need to howl. 

Edited by Diva
  • Like 2