Win for stopping inside toileting

karen15

I posted on here a while's back about the cocker I rehomed from a guy at work when she was nearly 3. I was her fourth owner in her short life, so she's not really had a consistent home until me :( I got her to be a companion for the westie puppy I was getting.

She has been a bugger for toileting inside. Only when I'm out but the dog door is open. Much worse when it was raining. Other than wet weather, the toileting was random. Nothing for ages then a spate for a week or two.

I finally cracked it big time when I got the flooring replaced. They'd been outside all day, access to the bedroom where I was. The flooring guys left, I let the dogs in, was gone for less than half an hour and she peed on the couch.

After that, I got a gate for the hallway and they get put in the hall and bathroom when I go out. Apart from overnight accidents when the dog door is shut, rarely an inside toileting incident.

last week she was getting the westie to wake me up at night if she needed to go out, this week for the first time ever, she woke me up herself with a big slurp up the arm. The westie has always been very good about waking me up to go out. He growls and when it's super urgent gives a single woof.

seeing the underlay when it was pulled up, it no doubt still had some smell in it, even though I cleaned with an enzyme cleaner. I do wonder if a previous occupant had a dog that toileted inside. The new vinyl has no doubt helped with the odour issue. I've also put Conni pets pee pads on the hall runners, so if there is an accident it can get washed and the scent removed. I got vinyl as its the only non porous flooring I could think of. Wood, tiles etc all have some absorbency.

so we're all much happier :) Apart from the toileting issue, the cocker is a lovely dog. She's adored by the westie and is everything I had wanted as his companion.

• Like 6