International Move For Dog With Dementia?

sandgrubber

Jarrah, at 12, is showing signs of dementia. She's sometimes looks confused and barks her 'help me' bark for reasons I can't understand. For example, yesterday, she acted like she was trapped by a kitchen stool that she could easily have walked around. Otherwise her health is ok for her age. She seems to be night blind and deaf, and she sleeps a lot, but she showed no problems on the senior dog blood work panel. She still wags a lot and occasionally plays for a minute or so with the younger dogs.

I am due to move to New Zealand on March 1st. The dogs fly, first from Florida to LA, then stay overnight in a kennel and fly on to NZ the next day. Thereafter, they have 10 days in quarantine. Visitors permitted, but only for a few hours a day.

I'm afraid this all will be too stressful for the old girl. Wondering if it might be kinder to give her an early departure over the rainbow bridge.

Has anyone had experience with demented dogs making a major move?

SG sometimes I think the irony of this is that older dogs often are less stressed by these sorts of moves than younger dogs IME, particularly as their sensory losses seem to provide some comfort and protection. While it wasn't an OS move, I had to move Mac around from house to house for over 12 months (5 big moves in 12 months IIRC at age 14 - 15 years). And because he was deaf and had dementia he seemed to cope really well. Came through like the trouper he was. In fact, I was more worried about Andy my youngest westie.

If Jarrah is otherwise healthy, I'd do some crate training with her (assuming she isn't already crate trained) and see how she goes. Without actually knowing her I'm guessing she'll be fine. And she may then have a couple of extra good years with you. Anyway thats my take on it. :)

My first thoughts were, because all Jarra's vitals are good, to load her crates up with familiar things, your worn t-shirts, her used bedding, etc etc and give it a go. She probably will be stressed from time to time and then go to sleep because he isn’t in a position to get “trapped". When she sees you for the first time all will be forgotten (and forgiven LOL).

I can guarantee you will be more stressed that Jarra is.

I don’t mean to sound lighthearted about it. Sending our pets on long unaccompanied journeys is worrying at the best of times, but when they are elderly and the obvious signs of age are becoming clearer, it is even more so.