Dog Doors

Malamum

I know we have had a thousand dog door topics over the years but we've just moved house and I'm finding it very hard to get a suitable dog door installed.

The issue is all the doors in the house are glass and I need an extra large dog door.

All the dog doors designed to go in glass are much smaller and just too small for my dog and all the doors that are big enough can't be installed in glass.

Has anyone else fitted a dog door in similar circumstances?

Could you use a low window. Twice I have been able to replace a low window pane with a dog door and fill in the remaining space with a Masonite type panel cut to fit in the window frame around the dog door

But you have to have a suitable window in the right spot

Could you use a low window. Twice I have been able to replace a low window pane with a dog door and fill in the remaining space with a Masonite type panel cut to fit in the window frame around the dog door

But you have to have a suitable window in the right spot

Unfortunately not. I really want the dog door in the laundry door but even if I put it else where all other doors/windows that lead out the back are floor to ceiling glass bifold doors.

I also don't want to replace the glass laundry door with a wooden one as the glass door doubles as the window and is the only light source into the laundry.

It's proving very difficult.

Could you replace the glass laundry door with a split barn door with glass in the top and either use the whole bottom section pegged open as a dog door or put a large dog door in the bottom panel

Malamum when I was house-sitting while I was rebuilding, I out a dog door in the house-sit with the owners permission - the very clever dog door man removed a bottom pane of glass completely and replaced it with perspex type stuff and then fitted the dog door to that. When I moved out he removed it completely and put the glass back in. So would a perspex arrangement for your door work with big dog door fitted into it - would preserve the light too?