Which Probiotic?

westiemum

I wonder if it would be worth contacting McDowell herbals WM https://www.mcdowellsherbal.com/

I am in the process of ordering some stuff for Mac's lung cancer, it's not cheap but may well help is breathing even more than the fenugreek/white millet/linseed/nettle/dandelion/rosehip and parsley items Kate suggested I buy (these have helped his breathing enormously)

Their mixtures are not overly cheap (the special canine mix is $126) but if they help it's money well spent

In her email to me Kate also said: http://www.k9natural...fd-200g-dom-k9n usually available from Petbarn and good petshops.

eta: you can get tripe from here--> http://www.naturalpe...?rf=kw&kw=tripe

also the cost of the special canine mix is for the 200ml size, 100ml is cheaper

Edited by Boronia

Thanks powerlegs - which protexin do you think? Powder? Paste? Liquid?

And do you buy direct from IAHP or elsewhere?

I get it from ebay! laugh.gif Straight to my po box.

For me, powder on the food has been fine. It's pretty inert but if you have a favourite treat like cottage cheese or youghurt, sardines etc then you know it will get eaten.

I know people have found soluble pretty good but mine won't touch tampered water. Even a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar or liquid aloe gets rejected.

all our Schnauzers are bathed in heads or shoulders or selsum blue & we recommend it to our puppy owners,we have no skin issues but find this product great .

We trim poodle feet & it does help greatly especially if the feet are staying moist as they often end up with tinea ,we tell our clients to use caniston or similar,even washing in white vinegar helps .

Problem is if the ears are bad you must treat the feet as well otherwise the cycle never ends & most vets do onot suggest treating the feet

Do you have no skin problems because you use the Selsum Blue or you just generally don't get it with your dogs?

Just checking in - Sarah is much better. After a lot of research and your excellent advice, I've been religiously bathing her paws with Malaseb each evening while we watch telly. While I don't like the stuff much, my research says that for Malassezia its a good option - and its working. She is licking them much less and seems to have have some white fur growing through for the first time in a long time.

She is also on a good anti-fungal drug as well - the vet explained the problem with chronic malassezia is that it actually gets into the nails and no amount of topical treatments will shift it. So drugs it is.

I'm also making sure she has some yogurt in the morning and no carbs - meat and veg only.

The only difficulty I'm having is getting the demotic down her very smelly ears. She absolutely performs like a pork chop for me yet stood beautifully while the vet put them in on Wednesday night. (Grrr! My gorgeous little wretch!)

And overall she certainly seems happier. She will have a selsun bath in the morning

Thanks for your help everyone.

The only difficulty I'm having is getting the demotic down her very smelly ears. She absolutely performs like a pork chop for me yet stood beautifully while the vet put them in on Wednesday night. (Grrr! My gorgeous little wretch!)

And overall she certainly seems happier. She will have a selsun bath in the morning

Thanks for your help everyone.

Happy to hear she's happier.

I know it's cumbersome but could you pop into the vets each afternoon to have her ears done? My old vet used to offer that kind of thing to good clients - you know - free pilling etc.

SM the vet offered that service last Wednesday night - the problem being at the moment I live the other side of town. The vet suggested stand her on a table - and while not perfect that has certainly helped.

She had a Selsun bath at the groomers today and a session of acupuncture on Thursday and that seems to have helped immensely. She'll go back for another session next week. thumbsup1.gif