Cocker Spaniel Breeder Nsw

Nicholle.s

I have been looking for a Cocker Spaniel puppy for a few months now with no luck and after seeing others have some success posting here I thought I would join and see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

My husband and I have a one year old daughter. I'm sure that is why I have not had much luck with breeders. I personally see it as a positive as it means that I am currently only working 2 days a week (and will continue to work part time until my daughter starts school). All interactions while she is little would be heavily supervised.

We are located in regional NSW approximately 5.5hours from Sydney which has meant I have been unable to attended any show events to approach breeders. We have a beautiful new home in a quiet cul de sac which in addition to a fenced backyard has a very large parks and walkways within 50m.

As for our lifestyle, my husband and I are both in our mid-twenties and very active. I have been in contact with our local obedience club and plan on joining their weekly classes once we find our pup.

I am after a solid (no preference black or gold) or black and tan coloured male. Ideally located in NSW so I could visit and meet the breeder in person.

We are in no rush for our puppy and are more than happy to wait but I can't even get to the point of being on a wait list at the moment. The lovely breeders I have spoken to are not breeding solids.

Hopefully someone can help!

Edited by Nicholle.s

Breeders just don't pull pups out of hats so you need to put your name down with a breeder you like & wait .For many breeds 12 months wait time is nothing .

Yes there will be breeders who will knock you back because of your youngster & to be honest we are such a breeder that will ask alot more questions when someone has a young baby & wants a puppy simply because its the right thing to do .Many have had pups returned because it was more work than they could cope with often at 12 months so breeders will often think very hard about the right home.

One piece of advice though

I personally see it as a positive as it means that I am currently only working 2 days a week (and will continue to work part time until my daughter starts school). When I am working my mother comes over to my house so the puppy will be spending virtually no time alone. All interactions while she is little would be heavily supervised.

Your dog MUST spend time alone or you are setting yourself up for massive issues & this could be another reason you are being knocked back .Your dog will have to be left alone in its life & you need to set it up for success from a puppy ,I think you need to think about this aspect more & understand the issues that occur when a dog has never been left to cope in life when people go out

Just to clarify, the puppy will obviously be left alone when I go grocery shopping, gym and daughter's playgroups etc but not for consecutive hours on end. In my pre-baby life I was working a 6 day week as a full-time engineer so in comparison I feel I spend all my time at home.

Must also add that I have previously owned a Golden Retriever that lived to the ripe old age of 15. Toyed with the idea of another Golden but decided that a Cocker Spaniel suited our life more.

Searching can be frustrating! :) Hope you find what you seek :)

MUST it be a baby puppy ? Sometimes breeders/rescues have screened older pups/or adult dogs who may suit your family , without all the baby puppy work !

re: pups being left alone - these is quite a lot of good discussion in this thread I started years ago (where does the time go?) :)

CLICK HERE

Edited by persephone

Maybe extend your colour preference a bit? When I started looking for my Boxer I wanted a flashy fawn female. I ended up with a white male and he is the love of my life.

Also I have a friend who has a roan Cocker but he is actually basically black. So sometimes even if they are genetically not solid couloirs they can appear that way.

I suggest you contact the Cocker Spaniel Society of NSW. I can't access their website from here but they probably have a puppy contact person.

Clubs are a great way of finding out who has pups and who is expecting them. They usually also offer good breed advice.

I also suggest you expand your colour preferences. Solid Cockers aren't as common as they used to be. A more common colour like blue roan will massively expand your chances of getting a pup. Pick first for temperament, then for breeder support.

The only Cocker person I know personally who is exhibiting a solid gold dog is Toni Dennis of Tarrendayle Cockers. She is in the breeder listings here on DOL.

ETA: Cockers actually require a fair bit of grooming to look their best. They differ from dogs like Golden Retrievers in that regard.

Edited by Haredown Whippets