Puppy's First Visit.

TripleJs

Hi everyone,

We're getting a puppy and are soooo excited. We are hanging to meet her but the breeder has said no till a few days after she's had her first vacc, is this the usual way it works?

She's was six weeks yesterday and breeder said hopefully will fit in vacs this week.

If this is a pedigree dog then the rules of the ANKC states that a puppy has to be the minimum age of 8 weeks before they are allowed to leave the breeder, giving time for that first vaccination to be OK.

The puppy would only be just weaned off of the Mother at this stage.

None of the puppies I breed leave my home until 12 weeks of age when I know they will be able to cope with the change of circumstance and also they have had two vaccinations and microchipped.

BTW I do not do first immunisations of puppies until 8 weeks and at the same time they have their spines xrayed, I like to wait until that age before xrays are done.

We visited our puppy every week from five weeks until she was ready to go home at 8 weeks. We had to be careful to take clean shoes and wash hands before entering the home. I guess all breeders are different.

1465356278[/url]' post='6820636']

Hi everyone,

We're getting a puppy and are soooo excited. We are hanging to meet her but the breeder has said no till a few days after she's had her first vacc, is this the usual way it works?

She's was six weeks yesterday and breeder said hopefully will fit in vacs this week.

Is the breeder a proper registered breeder (and I don't mean council registered?) I wouldn't be buying from a breeder that lets a poor puppy go at just over 6 weeks.

I don't think the OP meant they would take the puppy after its first vaccination westiemum - I read it as they want to visit the pup as they'll have a few more weeks to wait before they can take it home and were told they can't visit the pup and it's mum/littermates until after the first vaccinations are done.

If it is how I read it that is totally normal :)

We're defiantly not taking puppy home till 8-9 weeks, we're just hanging to meet her.

Registered breeder, we have done all our research, she comes very highly recommend.

I was just checking to see if it's the normal thing to do to not allow visits till after the first vacc

If its not really necessary disease wise, possibly its to avoid multiple visits from families wanting to see their puppy regularly? I imagine for a few puppies it could get quite time consuming dealing with visitors all the time :D

Fairly obvious the OP meant visiting the pup after 6 weeks.

We don't let people visit till after the first Vacc & at this stage the puppies are now active,use to playing outside & intersted in people & fun to watch,prior to that there just cute .

The waiting game is so hard, breeder said she will contact me after first vaccs which were most likely getting done this week, I don't want to come across pushy by emailing her we all have busy lives but I'm so worried thinking she's changed her mind the kids would be heartbroken. Pups are six weeks, seven on Tuesday.

The waiting game is so hard, breeder said she will contact me after first vaccs which were most likely getting done this week, I don't want to come across pushy by emailing her we all have busy lives but I'm so worried thinking she's changed her mind the kids would be heartbroken. Pups are six weeks, seven on Tuesday.

so you have not signed anything /made a deposit ?

PLEASE make sure you get a contract in writing regarding the conditions of the agreement. Doesn't matter how friendly it all seems, just do it! Cover things like how many litters does she want? How many puppies constitute a litter? Eg if she only has one puppy, will she want an additional litter? Where will the dog whelp and raise puppies? How long will she be away? When does she legally become yours? Who covers what costs? Etc etc.

PLEASE make sure you get a contract in writing regarding the conditions of the agreement. Doesn't matter how friendly it all seems, just do it! Cover things like how many litters does she want? How many puppies constitute a litter? Eg if she only has one puppy, will she want an additional litter? Where will the dog whelp and raise puppies? How long will she be away? When does she legally become yours? Who covers what costs? Etc etc.

I hope the OP reads this. And acts on it.

No, we haven't signed anything yet and deposit isn't needed as we're getting puppy on breeders terms. Just waiting for vaccs to be done so we can meet

Ok - but be aware - breeder's term arrangements can sometimes be messy and end in tears .

Hopefully you are aware of this, and have researched :)

As the others have said GET IT ALL IN WRITING , and signed .

Enjoy puppy breath! :)