Have You Seen This ?

persephone

I have the book! Right now in my bag. I'm about halfway through and after reading the book I am going to read the study.

John is a very compelling writer. The book starts out about his previous dogs who first had him wondering the extent of them learning words. Lots of shaping in his classes and humerus stories. Each chapter has a story theme, I am currently on "herding words" - he has taken chaser back to the farm to see how much her genetics and intelligence pull through.

There are bits I have been dog earing to share later with friends. Quotes or descriptions or phrases that really stand out to me.

I'm also a member of Dognition but have been too busy with our basic obedience and rehab to focus on the tests I get emailed. But we are young and there is time :)

Chaser is a great dog and it's a great book. I live how he on occasion compares his previous dog (GSD X) to chaser. Both equally smart but with johns knowledge growing he can really push chaser.

Edited by Thistle the dog

I would argue the statement at about 5.50 "there is no way she could have known where it [the ball] was" is false - she'd have been able to smell it - but she did go to it on command which was the point of the exercise.

I would argue the statement at about 5.50 "there is no way she could have known where it [the ball] was" is false - she'd have been able to smell it - but she did go to it on command which was the point of the exercise.

I have been thinking of that as well ...

It just goes to show how explicitly clear you have to be. I know I'm guilty of not being specific enough at times. One assumes he realizes she/the dog can smell it...

It just goes to show how explicitly clear you have to be. I know I'm guilty of not being specific enough at times. One assumes he realizes she/the dog can smell it...

Yes but I guess against smell would be to point at the cup without the ball and see what happens. Would the dog follow the pointing or ignore based on their smell figuring out you're pointing to the wrong cup?

Yes but I guess against smell would be to point at the cup without the ball and see what happens. Would the dog follow the pointing or ignore based on their smell figuring out you're pointing to the wrong cup?

My point is it's not quite correct to say "she has no idea where it is" come on - dogs noses are millions of times better than humans. She'd know where it was.

As for pointing at a decoy - in my opinion I think it would depend on the dog and how well they're trained. No?

Do you point and expect them to follow the point/indication?

Do you ask "where's the ball"? (or give the search command)

Scottie can do both - He often follows a point and we regularly play this game:

& have done scent work - where I rely on him to tell me where the item/scent is - its one of the first things you learn in scent work - the dog is in charge -it's the one with the right equipment.

but I'm not sure that he'd be OK with me giving him a decoy. I don't think he'd "get the point" of me giving him two options and then leading him to the false one - but also - it's not something I've invested time in doing...

It's like handling in retrieving I guess - we teach them to follow our "right" hand signal even if there's a retrieve item half a metre to their left. I certainly point at a treat I've dropped on the ground if the dog can't find it. One thing I find fascinating is the dogs can distinguish verbal commands "spin" and "twirl" - 2 different directions. Love that!

My point is it's not quite correct to say "she has no idea where it is" come on - dogs noses are millions of times better than humans. She'd know where it was.

As for pointing at a decoy - in my opinion I think it would depend on the dog and how well they're trained. No?

Do you point and expect them to follow the point/indication?

Do you ask "where's the ball"? (or give the search command)

Scottie can do both - He often follows a point and we regularly play this game:

& have done scent work - where I rely on him to tell me where the item/scent is - its one of the first things you learn in scent work - the dog is in charge -it's the one with the right equipment.

but I'm not sure that he'd be OK with me giving him a decoy. I don't think he'd "get the point" of me giving him two options and then leading him to the false one - but also - it's not something I've invested time in doing...

I understand what you're saying and agree, which is why I feel that for these sorts of tests to be accurate, they'd need to involve dogs with little or no prior training. Many people train via luring which in turn teaches a dog to follow hand signals -- me included.

I do little scent training with my beagle x and it's something my little terrier is actually better than him at. Zeus (beagle x) relies HEAVILY on his memory so if we're playing hide and seek/where's the duck? he never really sniffs me or the duck out. All Zeus does is use a process of elimination because he checks every single place I (or the duck) have ever hidden in the past.

His memory is amazing and would probably rival Chaser had I put time and effort in. For me personally, I'm a lot happier doing agility with him and showing off with the masses of tricks he does know!

I understand what you're saying and agree, which is why I feel that for these sorts of tests to be accurate, they'd need to involve dogs with little or no prior training. Many people train via luring which in turn teaches a dog to follow hand signals -- me included.

I do little scent training with my beagle x and it's something my little terrier is actually better than him at. Zeus (beagle x) relies HEAVILY on his memory so if we're playing hide and seek/where's the duck? he never really sniffs me or the duck out. All Zeus does is use a process of elimination because he checks every single place I (or the duck) have ever hidden in the past.

His memory is amazing and would probably rival Chaser had I put time and effort in. For me personally, I'm a lot happier doing agility with him and showing off with the masses of tricks he does know!

I'm just happy to have a dog who can, and will sit!

On that note = I'd say it'd probably have to be "little" training.

My last dog was untrained - a right horror of my own making (I was 15 when I got her, in the days before the internet and with little to no access to a library - I had no idea or really inclination anyhow) ...I doubt she'd have given two flips about me pointing to something and she sure as heck wouldn't have gone LOOKING for a toy. Maybe a slice of pizza - certainly not a toy. Scottie lives to please and I think with the right owner / trainer (and as a younger dog) he could have be taught anything. Very eager to please.

It's funny - I think as "in tune pet owners" (or what ever you want to describe yourself as) we know our dogs (pets in general) are smart - but it still blows my mind when you read about them having different kinds of intelligence, or being left or right pawed and other cool quirks.

Also - LOL at Zeus - spose it doesnt matter how you get there in the end as long as you get there. Lets be glad he's hunting a stuffed duck - not an ill person :)

Also - LOL at Zeus - spose it doesnt matter how you get there in the end as long as you get there. Lets be glad he's hunting a stuffed duck - not an ill person :)

I won't mention all the myna birds and pigeons he managed to catch and eat! ;)

I call him my 7 year plus WIP (work in progress) -- we're still working hard but it's paying off!

The absolute best where's the duck? moment was at our local dog park. He ran off with the duck and darted across the highway to maccas (I didn't know this at the time) and 5 minutes later he comes back without the duck. I just ask him "where's your duck?" and he zooms off and comes back seconds later with it in his mouth. All I'm thinking is thank goodness coz it's a $20 duck toy!! :laugh:

Edit: he'd apparently left it in the carpark before heading to maccas. He's also not allowed off lead at this park any more because maccas is sadly now a frequent ritual.

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

I call him my 7 year plus WIP (work in progress) -- we're still working hard but it's paying off!

The absolute best where's the duck? moment was at our local dog park. He ran off with the duck and darted across the highway to maccas (I didn't know this at the time) and 5 minutes later he comes back without the duck. I just ask him "where's your duck?" and he zooms off and comes back seconds later with it in his mouth. All I'm thinking is thank goodness coz it's a $20 duck toy!! :laugh:

Edit: he'd apparently left it in the carpark before heading to maccas. He's also not allowed off lead at this park any more because maccas is sadly now a frequent ritual.

LOL!!

Oh dear :laugh: