Dog Doors

Isabel964

I'm looking to get a pet door in the laundry door for my cats and my dogs. My largest dog is expected to have a maximum shoulder height of 50cm - kelpie/staffy cross with small paws (currently 5 months old).

Ideally I need a door that I can make enter only towards the end of the day because the cats need to be in at night.

Enquiries I have made lead me to a pet door that is a flap, where you can close the flap by sliding a sheet of plastic down into the flap slot. Seems I am rather restricted because I don't have small dogs. Small dog doors seem to have the option I need.

I did find the passport pet door from Australian Pet Doors which is electronic and expensive. But you can program it to allow pets in or out or certain pets in and so on.

If anyone has experience with this passport pet door or any other option that may suit, I'd love to know. I'll probably go with the simple option at this point but thought I'd reach out here before I made a decision.

.... just thought, if I change the wood laundry door to a glass door, does that increase my options? I'll need to look into that.

Most pet doors I have seen have latches that allow you to change the 'settings' on the flap - open both ways, closed both ways, In only traffic or out. etc.

Ive tried a few of these products. This has been our experiences:

dog/cat flap, with switch on flap,to allow 2 way or 1 way traffic. Ive had cats that can force their way through these, and my dogs are large enough, that they would barge through easily, if the hole were large enough. Small 'catch' easily busted through by a larger stronger dog than a jack russell terrier.

Dog/Cat flap with plastic sheet that you can block the flap. Again, my dogs have busted through these. It became a problem to be solved. Temporarily.

Dog/Cat flap, with rubber matt that covers flap: You dont get to block. Perfect. Dogs love it. ive removed stuff dogs cant be allowed free access. I have had to turn most door handles upside down, as dogs have learnt to open them. This type is the most durable, easy to clean, blocks wind, easy to operate, for those of us with fearful of new stuff dogs.

I eventually now have created a partial solutions: Patio glass sliding door, with a panel dog door installed in same tracks. A human can get in easily, as its not secured. But there are 3 dogs to say hi to on entry there. I can still use the metal screen door, to block the otherwise free dog flap. Perfect solution. It has the strength of the metal security door my dogs cant get through.

Most pet doors I have seen have latches that allow you to change the 'settings' on the flap - open both ways, closed both ways, in only, out only.

We had one of those for a while but scottie learnt to pop the latches & it was on for young & old + He also learnt he could knock the flap & get the attention of my parents. *eye roll*

I'd probably look at having a cat flap installed - in a spot which is good for the cats & look at other options for the dogs - probably another door with a more robust lock

I got my pet door from bunnings nearly five years ago. It has a metal plate that slides down to close the door. Haven't had any pet force through, probably because there is a step up from the outside. Staffy wad elderly (10) when I put it in. Cat could use it too. It's heavy soft plastic with a metal bar at the bottom to give it weight. I've had a staffy, cocker, westie and cat.

Thanks. It is a bit of dilemma. And yes the dogs busting through the door can be a problem and apparently that's why the ones with the little clips to turn or other options to close them one way or both tend to be available in small sizes only.

I think with the bigger dog doors, when newly installed the dogs would learn sometimes they are open and sometimes Mrs they are closed. I suspect dogs might only go pelting through them when they are used to them being open all the time. Maybe. Maybe this isn't the case for all dogs.

I have decided to put a cat door in somewhere else as it seems my ideal solution is not practicle.

I'm sure the door I got came in a bigger size. My dogs don't pelt through. Some have hit the panel when closed, but it is more a surprise than anything else. After doing that once or twice they check before going through.