Snake Savvy Dog

Willem

.....photos are really NOT neccesary ...really :(

;)

Aux contraire, photos are essential for learning to recognize what snakes are dangerous . . . especially when the juveniles look so different from the adults. If snakes gross you out so much, avoid the thread

that was tongue in cheek, hence the wink ;)

I live with King Browns and Eastern Browns sometimes literally on the doorstep ..and get scared regularly by the gorgeous yellow faced Whipsnakes who love the cooler spots in the fernery etc .and make the rustly/sliding sounds ..

RBBs aren't as common unfortunately ..they are placid and beautiful.

I know they're here ... and am grateful that this Summer we have not lost a dog or any poultry .

It was interesting reading about the snakes & spiders , which is why I was in the thread when the photos popped up . ;)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eek1.gif lot'sof different shades in the brown snake ,

anyone knows whether the color depends on area?...or is the color / pattern of the offspring of any brown snake unpredictable?... the one we had in the garden definitely matches the dark one in the left upper corner of the pic, however, it had a distinguish black head which juvelines have (it ws approx. 30 - 40 cm long).

• 2 months later...

post-54054-0-00032600-1464651212_thumb.jpg

...something (juvenile eastern brown snake) I don't expect after a cold night with temperatures around 10 deg C - not absolutely sure whether it was dead or not (no ants, no obvious signs of injuries, cuts, deformations, broken skin....). Was a little bit small so for end of May (I saw bigger ones in mid March) ...I found it at the end of a concrete staircase on our morning walk, strangely the dog didn't even notice it. Might have been hibernating (but looked more 'dead' for me....anyway, I thought it was a good opportunity to do some snake training with the dog (had her on the leash while doing it).

Edited by Willem

probably going to be kookaburra food if it keeps that up.

I had a blue tongue lizard that stayed up all winter last year - but it was also a skinny baby. I handed it over to wildlife rescue but I don't think it survived.

My friend who lives on the road to Bungendore - says it's snake season all year round there. ie there is no time of the year that they don't come out. And it gets properly cold there.