Dog Genetics For Dummies

Scottsmum

Hey all,

So I've been reading along on Kirislin / Neko's pups and if they're black /seal / something else - and um, I Just see back pups. Very confused. :confused:

Also Scottie is black and white or probably technically tri-coloured. But, unlike my last B&W foxie who actually had black hair - Scottie has white hair on white skin which is tipped black.

Who can link me to really basic reading on why? Or even what black tipped white hair is called.

I'm talking Zoolander levels of simple.

this is a pretty good site, but there's so much that is still unknown. I still feel my eyes glaze over when I try to understand this stuff, and I wont pretend I do understand it. but this is a good start.

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/index.htm

Thanks - I know it's huge - I used to have a pretty good understanding of horse (paint horse) genetics - but know nothing about dogs.

Also: Does this have colour have a name?

25060936101_18f379f39b_q.jpgIMG_3467 by Superspanger, on Flickr

Edited by Scottsmum

SM if you have a good knowledge of horse genetics, then you also understand the principles of dog genetics.

I think what you are really asking about is colour genetics in dogs. So first you want a basic knowledge of the colours available (black, brown, yellow and white) and the patterns available and then you are asking for an understanding of the varied combinations of these (dilute/extent of pattern/age affected) that gives the huge variety of coat colours and markings and how each of these factors is affected by the others.

There are a few sources detailing basic colour genetics in dogs, most of them are based on Clarence Little's work on alleles on loci. Google can probably lead you to these.

But because of the huge range over the species, plus the awkwardness of different breeds having different names to the same colour and/or pattern, or worse, same names for different colour/patterns in different breeds, once you have grasped the basic loci it is probably best then to move directly to the details of the breed that most concerns you.

Here is a paper that will give you a basic grasp. Then start to google your breed, asking questions, if you have any, of breed experts.

P.S. Your picture, on the face of it, seems to be a colour affected by the G locus, as in Lippizan horses. The name of that colour is most likely what the matured colour is expected to be.

Best of luck!

this is a pretty good site, but there's so much that is still unknown. I still feel my eyes glaze over when I try to understand this stuff, and I wont pretend I do understand it. but this is a good start.

Thanks - I know it's huge - I used to have a pretty good understanding of horse (paint horse) genetics - but know nothing about dogs.

Also: Does this have colour have a name?

25060936101_18f379f39b_q.jpgIMG_3467 by Superspanger, on Flickr

cant see your photo large cause it's set to private.

ruralpug that study only used 25 IGs from the US so it's not complete, although it's a start. I wish they'd ask for samples from dogs around the world. I'd gladly contribute.

Edited by Kirislin

I noticed they included greyhounds in the photos of seal dogs and in my experience, the "seal" greyhounds turn into black ones with proper grooming and an improvement in diet. What makes them look brownish is the kennel/undercoat hairs.