Leaving A Dog Alone For The First Time

Olly&Meg

I have just lost one of my Cavs to a snake and am concerned about leaving the other one at home alone.

I am a little worried about the snake's return and am taking steps for that but am mostly concerned about the welfare of my little girl who will be left alone for the first time in her life.

She is currently staying with her mum's owner whilst I try to work this out.

I am seriously considering giving her up to someone who is at home all day to give her the love and ongoing companionship that I think she deserves. I don't feel that I have it in me to get another dog.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks for your time.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Please don't make a hasty decision to give her away just yet. Then she will lose you too, and I think it's fairer to try keeping her safe inside. Are the snakes outside or did one come in?

Sorry to hear about your dog :( Must have been a terribly shock to lose him that way :(

Give her some time to adapt. You have both just gone through a big change in your life which might take a little while to come to terms with. There is no need to talk of rehoming just yet. Plenty of dogs live happy lives even though they are alone while their owner is at work.

I would leave her inside if possible and give her her breakfast as you go out the door. Leave some other interactive toys behind. This way she should come to see that you leaving the house becomes a predictor for her getting something yummy.

On another note, I am a big advocate for dogs to regularly spend some time alone. This does take extra work and organisation on your part, but really does help the dogs cope when they really do need to be alone (like when one dog has to spend the day at the vet). You can do this by taking them out separately for a walk, or just allowing one dog to be inside for a couple of hours, and the other dog outside, and then swap them over. As I said, it is extra work, but it certainly helps them to cope enormously with being alone.

Sorry for your loss. I have been told that as a breed Cavaliers don't always cope as only dogs but I haven't owned one myself. I've rescued Cavalier crosses and have rehomed with other dogs as they have been very sociable. Is there any way she could be inside the house as this would be more comforting I imagine. Leave some of your clothes in her basket, a radio on and give her some Rescue Remedy under her tongue and in her water.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad