Shitzu Nipping People

Cam1169

Hey guys, visiting my little sister over Christmas and have taken her with her 2 year old fluffy male white shitzu for walks and he seems to try attack or nip people at the last minute as we pass them, once a person on a bike. Any idea why ? Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me. He seemed happy & excited. He was on the leash each time luckily. Once I realised he was suddenly going at the person all I did was yank him back on track. Then he seemed to go straight back to normal. We didn't smack him just sturnly said "Oscar no" loudly

Hey guys, visiting my little sister over Christmas and have taken her with her 2 year old fluffy male white shitzu for walks and he seems to try attack or nip people at the last minute as we pass them, once a person on a bike. Any idea why ? Thanks

puppies play this 'game' and chase objects that move away from them...and then they move away from objects that charge at them, so it is a pretty natural behaviour preparing them for hunting and escape. However, if the puppy is not taught that he is not allowed to do this with people, cars, other dogs, bicycle etc. it becomes a serious behaviour issue. When you say 'it happens in the last minute'...I assume that he doesn't charge at people / bicycles etc. as long as they are approaching and he does it only when he recognize that they pass / move away?...so it seems it's not aggression due to anxiety being intimidated by the trigger?

No matter what the cause is, you respectively the dog owner has to address this otherwise the dog will likely bite someone one day and then you have to deal with a dangerous dog and that doesn't help to improve the reputation of dog owners. Did the dog owner any kind of obedience training with the dog?...I would assume no as otherwise this unacceptable behaviour would have been picked up and addressed. Hence I would start with basic obedience training plus - to address this specific problematic behaviour - would train 'passing other dogs, people bicycles etc.' (you need some decoys, helpers for this till you sure it works for normal walks)...when passing (you train this also in obedience classes) the focus of the dog has to be on you / dog owner...no launching or chasing at passing objects allowed...if he gets it right he gets the treat as the reward. It is an area where positive reinforcement is pretty effective.

Note: if the cause is anxiety / fear you have to be careful and use a different approach; also in this case I would join a obedience class and get advise from the instructor.

ETA: just saw your last post - so yes, doesn't seem to be anxiety.

Edited by Willem

Is this the first time in two years that the dog has been on regular walks or has the behaviour been with him for two years, or in the last two years was he OK on his REGULAR walk. In other words has he always been rugulary walked in the past or is walking new to him :confused:

Edited by sheena

Did anyone else read this as People who nip Shih Tzu ?

Most herding breed puppies especially cattle dogs will do this if you don't train them not to. It's called "motion sensitive" if you want to google.

If you put your head at ground level - you will see the behaviour probably starts as soon as the dog notices the motion.

So you have to train the dog to do something else. You will see the trigger (bike or person) well before the dog does. So make sure the dog is on lead and has no opportunity (short lead) to reach or lunge at the trigger.

If you can go somewhere where there are a lot of triggers but you can get far enough away that the dog can see the trigger but still pay attention to you. And then do some basic training drills, sit, drop, beg/pretty, nose touch (to your hand). All things the dog cannot do at the same time as chasing moving things. And things that keep the dog's attention on you.

For my dog as a puppy, I would put her on lead if I saw the trigger first, and work tight heel work with lots of treats. If she lunged, I would prevent any kind of further approach but better if she never gets to lunge. But I'm not perfect. Sometimes I have to stop and pick up dog poop and I can't be watching her when I do that or I get dirty.

So you would train the dog to behave better the same as if it was going after the vacuum cleaner, other dogs, or small children or cars (dead dog).

Actually training the dog that the vacuum cleaner is not for chasing is really easy. Because you have full control over the vacuum, and you only move it when the dog is backed off. If the dog approaches - you stop moving the vac...

There's part of a thread that addresses training side of motion sensitivity and reactiveness over here.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/265379-topic-for-discussion-keep-it-nice-folks-%3B/page__view__findpost__p__6777899

Try to ignore the semantics and concentrate on suggested training methods eg balance between approach and retreat, and reward and not-reward, controlling the environment eg dog on lead, and distance from trigger, etc.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket