Breeders Terms

Melza83

Just curious, have the breeders assessed the dog to see that he is actually a worthy breeding prospect? Have they spent much time with him? Melza83, have you been doing showing or dog sports with him?

Just wondering because I wouldn't have thought a breeder would just call in a 17 month old dog to stud without having done some assessment of him before hand.

No assments have been made by them to see if he worthy of breeding with. They never spend time with him. He knows basic obedience but nothing more. I told the breeders that I wanted to show him as soon as he was old enough and they told me that they would have to take him to a relative of theirs to see if he is suitable. Unfortunately for me the only other registered breeder I know breeds whippets.

To those more experienced, is this the norm? Like I said before, wouldn't a breeder want to have some measure that a dog is actually a good breeding prospect before using him to stud?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just curious, have the breeders assessed the dog to see that he is actually a worthy breeding prospect? Have they spent much time with him? Melza83, have you been doing showing or dog sports with him?

Just wondering because I wouldn't have thought a breeder would just call in a 17 month old dog to stud without having done some assessment of him before hand.

No assments have been made by them to see if he worthy of breeding with. They never spend time with him. He knows basic obedience but nothing more. I told the breeders that I wanted to show him as soon as he was old enough and they told me that they would have to take him to a relative of theirs to see if he is suitable. Unfortunately for me the only other registered breeder I know breeds whippets.

To those more experienced, is this the norm? Like I said before, wouldn't a breeder want to have some measure that a dog is actually a good breeding prospect before using him to stud?

Again it depends on what they are selecting for and how they are assessing him and what they are assessing him for.There could be a thousand reasons why even if he is absolutely horrible in one area why he would still be valued in another - they know whats behind him as well so know what he is likely capable of producing with a given bitch. There are so many variables for a breeder to have to take into account with any mating that nothing is normal for everyone. Just because one breeder may see something as necessary for using a stud dog another wont. Doesnt make either of them right or wrong.

I spoke with a breeder yesterday who used a dog [ rare breed ] with an slightly undershot jaw and she could tell me exactly why even though he had a crook jaw she decided to use him - everything else she was trying to go after the dog passed with flying colours so she considered it a fair risk as the potential positive over rode the negatives and its relatively easy to select for because its something you can see. She had 9 puppies and one had a slight bite issue. She saved two for breeding that had everything else she was going after as well as good jaws and when she breeds them part of what she will be watching for is the jaw issue and will sell any with the problem that show in future as pets. This information along with all the rest is noted on the pedigree so anyone who comes behind for generations to come can see where the jaw issue was and assess the risks. If the breeder does what she says she will then its unlikely that it will show as an issue for the future and she has gained something she would have had to work on for years.

You cant really know what dog is a good breeding prospect until you use him and see what he produces. What you see and think he will do isnt always so.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. The breeder and I have come to a better agreement and while we both see that our friendship has turned sour we think it's in the dogs best interests to at least try and make the agreement work.