Ideas For A Dog Kennel?

Willem

building a nice dog kennel for our BC is on the to do list for month now - however, the to do list is pretty long (can only work on it when on R&R). I bought once a kennel from Bunnings just to bring it back and to get my refund as it was so flimsy (was made from paper-thin cedar wood) that it wouldn't have last very long. (It came as a kit and required to be assembled at home). Hence I thought I'm better off DIY.

...any ideas? ... it needs to be weather proof, tough built, preferably made from untreated wood, easy to clean out, kid and dog safe (no nails pointing out or sharp edges etc.). Maybe someone had the same idea and built something like this already and could help me out with advice, ideas or even a complete BOM?

...every hint / advice is appreciated.

Whatever you build, you want to make sure that it is situated close enough to, and facing, your back door so the dog can see the comings and goings from the house from it... otherwise the dog simply won't use it...

You could try the weatherproof plywood sheets from Bunnings - they come in various ply widths/strengths. Build the frame and floor from untreated pine, then nail the plywood sheets to said frame. An angled roof to allow run-off of rain - angled toward the back of the kennel so the rain doesn't run off in front of the door... *grin*... you could cover the roof with some of that playground compound rubber matting from Bunnings to make it more waterproof too.

Most importantly, you want the floor of the kennel at least 3-4 inches off the ground to allow for airflow and/or any seepage of anything wet.

That's what I would do anyways...

T.

Whatever you build, you want to make sure that it is situated close enough to, and facing, your back door so the dog can see the comings and goings from the house from it... otherwise the dog simply won't use it...

You could try the weatherproof plywood sheets from Bunnings - they come in various ply widths/strengths. Build the frame and floor from untreated pine, then nail the plywood sheets to said frame. An angled roof to allow run-off of rain - angled toward the back of the kennel so the rain doesn't run off in front of the door... *grin*... you could cover the roof with some of that playground compound rubber matting from Bunnings to make it more waterproof too.

Most importantly, you want the floor of the kennel at least 3-4 inches off the ground to allow for airflow and/or any seepage of anything wet.

T.

Thats what i was going to say. Really the most important thing.

how about this biggrin.gif

victorian-cozy-cottage-kennel-dog-house_q975g_52.jpg

T.

Thats what i was going to say. Really the most important thing.

how about this biggrin.gif

victorian-cozy-cottage-kennel-dog-house_q975g_52.jpg

Hahahaha omg damn I want that!!!

I have a kennel here made out of marine ply built in 1989, still going strong. Just 4 walls, floor and a flat roof. Screwed together.

I second that - we had a kennel which had countless floors until dad finally replaced the floor with marine ply. It outlasted the dogs after that & has been handed on to someone else in the family.