Doing Quarantine In Nz Instead Of Oz?

sandgrubber

I'm thinking of returning to Oz, most likely WA. Quarantine with three dogs in Victoria is a big hurdle. I wouldn't mind spending three months in NZ . . . as required before a dog can go from NZ to Oz. Looks like there is much more choice for quarantine facilities in NZ than in Oz . . . I haven't yet inquired about prices.

Are there problems here that I might not have identified?

I'm thinking of returning to Oz, most likely WA. Quarantine with three dogs in Victoria is a big hurdle. I wouldn't mind spending three months in NZ . . . as required before a dog can go from NZ to Oz. Looks like there is much more choice for quarantine facilities in NZ than in Oz . . . I haven't yet inquired about prices.

I did this a few years ago. Frankly it wasn't worth the hassle but didn't really have the option as the UK was changing its import rules to allow dogs from the continent over with the basic rabies vaccine and Australia had no vacancies. NZ quarantine kennels are privately owned and run so can charge whatever they want. I think it was about NZ$1600 four years ago.

The other downside is that when the dog was reregistered here in WA they put IMP NLZ on his name not UK!

I did this a few years ago. Frankly it wasn't worth the hassle but didn't really have the option as the UK was changing its import rules to allow dogs from the continent over with the basic rabies vaccine and Australia had no vacancies. NZ quarantine kennels are privately owned and run so can charge whatever they want. I think it was about NZ$1600 four years ago.

The other downside is that when the dog was reregistered here in WA they put IMP NLZ on his name not UK!

Where's the hassle?

The requirements before travel seem to be the same.

For 3 Labbies I got a quote just under $NZ3800 (for everything related to quarantine in NZ). The equivalent in Oz would be around $AU5100. Plus the NZ facilities are much more generous about allowing visitation, and will be able to board my dogs together. I've never spent time in NZ and wouldn't mind a couple months there.