Fast Foster Home Needed For Elderly Chi

westiemum

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you juice, happy paws and DD again.

Thanks huski - yes it breaks my heart too - I can't understand how anyone can have a dog for 11 years and then dump him for a 'newer model' I could no more dump Mac than fly to the moon. Oh well - hopefully tomorrow night will be the start of a new chapter for this little man - and shortly with someone who really wants him - and the start of a great life. thumbsup1.gif

I know this is all sorted, but I was thinking it might be nicer to train the younger dog with some dog manners - I know my dog would do it (might not be fun). And then return it with a bit of owner training and a couple of crates.

Theoretically I could mind an extra dog at the moment but I'm not entirely sure if evil hound would agree.

Thanks so much Mrs RB - thats a very kind offer - and yes I entirely agree this younger dog needs some serious training by the sound of it. I'll check it out tomorrow night too, see how the owner is coping with all this and go from there. Stay tuned and I'll report back tomorrow night how we get on.

Good luck, its hard to bite your tongue i know!

I would still get him out of there, if she can offload him this easily ,he wont get the care needs later.

I want to go in guns blazing sometimes, but have found the softly softly works better in getting stuff across, even when i do want to call them a freaking waste of space!

Yeah I've found that with most people who don't pick up after their dogs.

It's much better to say "do you need a bag - I've got spare" and make it easy for them to do the right thing, than to scold them for not picking up.

But if I offer and they say "I don't pick up poop" - then I scold them with a view to making sure they don't come back. Tho it might work better if I challenge their courage (or lack of it) - what - scared of a little dog poop?

I still haven't figured out how to cheer and encourage the ones who do the right thing - "Yay - you're making our park a better place" - feels odd. But sometimes I do that anyway especially if it was someone who didn't pick up previously and is now doing the right thing. Gotta reward that somehow.

1441750645[/url]' post='6740353']

Good luck, its hard to bite your tongue i know!

I would still get him out of there, if she can offload him this easily ,he wont get the care needs later.

I want to go in guns blazing sometimes, but have found the softly softly works better in getting stuff across, even when i do want to call them a freaking waste of space!

Couldn't agree more. Even though I'm feeling very very cross about this, for Zacs sake I'll be sweet as pie and bite my tongue. Dug out my old surrender forms and updated them last night - so they're good to go. Fingers and paws crossed. smile.gif

yes good luck. Stay focused.

Gah I found a pic of my little crew all together from way back when!

Joseph (with his coat of many colours), Rita in the middle and Billy on the end. They are sitting on their chair at work in my old salon, so Pre 2006 sometime.

post-48894-0-75547800-1441778140_thumb.jpg

I have to ask that man holding Zac in the OP reminds me of someone. He looks a bit like Dr.Condon, our family vet from way back (who is now a vet Chiro). Dr.Condon was the vet who helped me say goodbye to Billy when the time came.

Hi All Zac fans,

Well he's here at home on my lap thumbsup1.gif - and please forgive me but my I took a photo and my phone died - its the only camera I have in house - so as soon as I can I'll post some Zac photos.

It went well. Took a little over an hour while I made absolutely sure the owner understood the change of ownership and that there would no going back. She did and almost too happily filled out the paper work - and I must admit I was really sad at how easily she handed him over - but I didn't show it of course.

Anyway onward and upward for this little man. He's officially now mine for rehoming and I even guessed the right database for his microchip - so thats been signed and is ready to transfer as well.

He's a lovely little boy. I'm not used to four kilo dogs! On first glance he's in very good nick, although possibly a little porky - or it might just be his coat. And blink blink please don't be too horrified but he had a bath in WoolMix today - where's that Mr Rolley eyes when you need him!.

The westies all showed a little too much interest and he was a bit trembley when we first arrived home but westiemum asserted her pack leadership rofl1.gifand all has settled - and Zac appropriately warned Sarah that she was in his face. She's now happy on her cushion and Andy and Mac have lost interest and wandered off to snooze. Zac is sitting and snuggling on my lap as I type. He has come with a truckload of gear, he's been bathed today but he still has a sore ear from the skirmish of a day or two ago - nothing major.

So thanks all - I'll see how he goes overnight and go from there.

I really want to thank all those interstate people who put their hand up for him - Simply Grand who jumped in so quickly, followed closely by HRH Dogmad and Snooks Melbourne friend. I'm pretty overwhelmed just thinking about your kindness. But as we have local options I think its best for Zac to try them first as that can happen fairly quickly and with the least disruption for the little guy. So I think the best thing for him will be to get him on trial as soon as possible as it minimises the disruption and dislocation for him.

Thanks so much again for all your help support and encouragement. thumbsup1.gif Its meant a great deal to this elderly little guy - and me. And I promise I'll get some decent photos up as soon as I can. thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

Edited by westiemum

Wool mix is the approved shampoo for Chihuahuas dontya know???? It stops 'em from shrinking :rofl:

Glad the little guy is out of danger. He will be fine. They are such an adaptable and enchanting breed. He will find his feet soon enough wherever his place ends up being.

Gruf and I are off to make zzzzzs as we have a 6am drive to Adelaide.

Sleep well little Zac.