Older Dog Scared Of New Puppy

chepet

help = we have a 9 year old cairn terrier and just got an 8 week old shihtzu pup - my older dog is scared of the pup = he runs away from him and won't stay in the same room - we are giving the older dog plenty of extra attention - any other ideas ?- he looks so depressed

Play pen to contain puppy so that the older dog can relax a bit until he gets used to the youngster .. useful anyway .. can have bed, safe toys, stuffed Kong, and pee pads or newspaper for when you can't supervise.

How long have you had the pup? If you are still in the first week or so I wouldn't worry too much, it can take a bit for the older dog to get used to the idea. I would just make sure the pup doesn't get to pester the older boy, and the older one doesn't get left out at all.

Edited by Diva

How long have you had the pup? If you are still in the first week or so I wouldn't worry too much, it can take a bit for the older dog to get used to the idea. I would just make sure the pup doesn't get to pester the older boy, and the older one doesn't get left out at all.

I agree with this. Good luck :)

I know it's a different situation, but what I've found works for my fear aggressive boy is if I introduce him to a new dog, I put the new dog in a crate then let Thundercleese approach at his own pace. The other dog being in a crate makes him feel safe, so he reacts with curiosity instead of fear. Something like that may work for yours as well, because then the "threatening" aspect of the puppy is neutralized by being in the crate, giving your older dog the opportunity to check out the pup and realise that it's not actually terrifying at all :)

You have the double issue of a boisterous puppy, and one with a flat face. Dogs have certain etiquette around their personal space when it comes to meting other dogs, but brachycephalic breeds kind of have to get even more "in your face" and other dogs can find it quite strange and uncomfortable to have a short faced breed right up close eyeballing them!

Just try to relax. It's early days for your two. It will happen given space, guidance, patience and time.

We had a similar experience when we introduced our 8 week old bitch lab to our then 3yo desexed male lab. We thought that he would be the dominant dog and be the boisterous one; it couldn't have been further from the reality. He hated her play style (bitey face rough) as he's much more into tug. he hated her roughness so much that he wouldn't be in the same room as her. We decided to keep them separated most of the time and to keep their time together, closely supervised.

in the beginning she had a pen in the kitchen and then over time she was tethered at the back door. Once she lost those razor sharp puppy milk teeth he liked her a bit more but was still very wary of her.

We had to make some adjustments and still do: firstly she was always tethered at the back door so they could play together but when he'd had enough he could get away for a break. Even now, 10 months later, she is tethered with a long line so that he can get away from her when he needs to. When they have play time together with her off her line then they are supervised as play becomes far too rough and he becomes very unhappy with her not leaving him alone.

In the evenings they sleep together in one bed, while we watch tv in the lounge room but she is tethered so he can move away from her if he wants to if she becomes rough or wants to play bitey-face (even though there's a no-play rule in the house they will try it on). It's been a long process of introducing them. They still aren't left to their own devices with full freedom; the idea of letting them sort it out themselves didn't work for our boy because he is just too gentle and submissive and she is a rough, boisterous ho that never gives up. Once everyone goes to sleep she sleeps in her crate in the dining area and he sleeps on his bed in our room.

During the day, when she's tethered at the back patio/back door they spend a lot of time together playing but he can get away from her when he wants. He can go into his crate but she can't reach it. If they want to sleep together, and they often do, they have a communal stretcher bed that fits them both.

We still work with them so she learns to play with him in a way that is positive for both of them. 10 months on and they play a good game of tug together... But it's taken a lot of time and work. They are fabulous together out in public; we take them out for brunch each Saturday and they sit side by side really nicely and they're really good in the car together... But, unsupervised with full freedom is still not an option for us...yet.

I'd recommend keeping the dogs separated and any time together is supervised and with lots of high value treats for them both. Over time lengthen the time they interact and when you see your old boy become more confident, perhaps give them small amounts of time unsupervised with you watching from the back door or window to see how they are together.

Good luck

Great post suziewong66!thumbsup1.gif

Your household won't be one of those where either the younger, more energetic dog is rehomed or the older gentle dog becomes ultra timid and unhappy or suddenly snaps one day and becomes aggressive causing a nasty incident - because you take notice of what is happening and accept the responsibility to keep things calm for both dogs. Well done!

To the OP, I echo those who have said a crate or playpen for the baby puppy so that your older dog can have some peace.

EFS

Edited by RuralPug

Thats an aweful lot of time being tied up.

Then you expect them to share beds?

You are not teaching any rules yourself for later, you are relying on a tool.

i don't see how you will progress off the tie if you aren't controlling it now.