Importing Dog From Germany

Luv_Spitz

I am thinking about importing from Germany and I've been told the dog can only be shipped by Korean Air - Is this true? If you have shipped by this airline your opinion of their service would be appreciated.

I've got a friend who is currently in the process of picking up a sight hound from Europe...

I will ask her what airline she's using to get it back. She's currently in Munich looking for a big dog crate...

I don't think it's right that only Korean Air will do it.

There are a lot of quarantine rules - depending where you get the dog - it may have to spend time in quarantine or "the right country" before being allowed to come back here. Eg I think if you want to bring a dog back from China it has to spend time in some other country (or Hong Kong?) before it is allowed here. Could be wrong about the details or they may have changed since I last looked them up.

You will also have to find out which crates are accepted domestically in Germany as MRB's friend (a mutual friend) had issues with a crate she had specially made and ended up leaving it here because it wasn't accepted domestically in in Germany.

Friends have imported several GSD's from Germany. They used VCK Live Animal Logistics who supply the airline approved crate, and fly the dogs from Amsterdam because it is cheaper from there apparently. They used Malaysian Airlines but that may have changed.

Dogs had to spend 180 days in country of origin (ie Germany) from date of rabies test. Quarantine in Australia was 30 days, however this has now changed, and I think the 180 days in Germany may be a little less now too. You can get all this info from the AQIS site.

Hope this helps. I do recommend using a shipping agent though, because if there are delays to the flight, or the paperwork is not correct, they will sort it out and look after your dog until it boards the plane.

Thank you for the feedback so far, it all helps.Ido know about all of the Aust quarantine and import requirements and I am investigating transport agents. I received the information that the dog could only be sent on Korean Air from an agent in Germany - I just want to establish if that is an across the board thing that other airlines will not transport from there to Aust, or if it is just a case of that particular agent has a little deal going with this airline.Obviously, if I deal through an Aust agent they are then going to deal with an agent in Germany - that is ok - I just want my dog to arrive in the most expedient, safest way possible. If anyone can recommend any agents they have dealt with here, I'd also appreciate that info.Thank you all for your help.

Friends have imported several GSD's from Germany. They used VCK Live Animal Logistics who supply the airline approved crate, and fly the dogs from Amsterdam because it is cheaper from there apparently. They used Malaysian Airlines but that may have changed.

Dogs had to spend 180 days in country of origin (ie Germany) from date of rabies test. Quarantine in Australia was 30 days, however this has now changed, and I think the 180 days in Germany may be a little less now too. You can get all this info from the AQIS site.

Hope this helps. I do recommend using a shipping agent though, because if there are delays to the flight, or the paperwork is not correct, they will sort it out and look after your dog until it boards the plane.

I think this is what the (mutual) friend of Mrs Rusty Bucket and Suziwong66 and mine, is doing to bring her sighthound over.

The short answer to your question is no, not only Korean Air will fly dogs. they might be the cheapest tho.

find out how long is the flight.

We paid several hundred more to have our boy shipped the fastest way, and I think it was with Emirates or Edihad, cant recall.