Citronella Spray?

Sheridan

A couple of tradies I've spoken to recently have suggested a citronella spray to keep the dogs from chewing particular objects. Outside of citronella collars to keep dogs from barking I've not heard of a separate spray. Has anyone else and is it effective? I'm not keen on negative conditioning (my experience is that it makes them fearful of the owner) but I thought I'd check others' experiences and if there is such a thing.

I bought citronella oil from the supermarket and put it in a cheap spray bottle. I just sprayed it directly on the wood that I didn't want chewed. You could also just paint it on I guess. I think I diluted mine because it was such a strong door and I didn't want to make her sick.

A couple of tradies I've spoken to recently have suggested a citronella spray to keep the dogs from chewing particular objects. Outside of citronella collars to keep dogs from barking I've not heard of a separate spray. Has anyone else and is it effective? I'm not keen on negative conditioning (my experience is that it makes them fearful of the owner) but I thought I'd check others' experiences and if there is such a thing.

I've seen a few websites list it as toxic to dogs if ingested.

A spray specifically designed for the purpose (like Bitter Apple spray) would be my recommendation.