Discoloured Coat

I have a black and white short haired dog. He has a lot of white on his body...and I've noticed its become really grey/yellow. I understand whitening shampoo can be quite harsh so wondering if anyone can give me some ideas of what I could use to bring back the white of his coat. He gets washed regularly...we did change brand of shampoo regularly so wondering if that has something to do with it.

TIA

Try Equinade Glo White shampoo. Obviously it is marketed for horses, but also labelled for dogs, cats and pocket pets. It does really well on the short 'horse like' coats. Get a 1 litre squeezy bottle from the supermarket or 2 dollar store. add some of your regular shampoo in the bottom, probably about 1 to 2 cm depth, then add about 1cm depth of Glo White , fill with warm water and shake. Then shampoo the dog from a dry start. Just squeeze the shampoo mix onto the dog and rub it in as you go. Rinse and repeat. Do not use conditioner.

You can just use a bucket to make the shampoo mix and apply using a facewasher, but the squeezy bottle works a treat.

Equinade is readily available from horse supply places and feed stores, and is not terribly expensive.

I think I have tried every 'white' dog shampoo on the market over the years, but keep going back to Equinade. Australian made to boot!

Edited by blinkblink

Yes i mean do the first wash starting with a dry dog. It will suds up pretty well on the first go, but the second wash will really put the polish on.

I don;t exactly know why, but starting with a dry dog is, I believe, the secret to why everyone, even other pro groomers (happened just last night lol) shake their heads and wonder how i get the dogs so glowing and white, without the yellowish tinge that sometimes creeps in with 'blue' shampoos.

oh and your recent oil encounter will definitely have discoloured the coat. Engine oil, even once 'washed out' will leave a yellowish grubbiness to that area for a while.

Oh and while I'm at it!......Adding the purple Equinade to your shampoo mix will make the shampoo purple. I find it an interesting exercise for owners because it makes it easy to identify how well you have rinsed! Keep rinsing until there is no trace of purple....... you might identify that your current rinsing was maybe not what you thought it was !

I would be careful using Glo white in the shower as it might stain your grout. It is purple.

hmm, yes I would have to agree with that. Mixed into a diluted shampoo will definitely lessen the possibility but yes, proceed with caution around white grout!

I would be careful using Glo white in the shower as it might stain your grout. It is purple.

hmm, yes I would have to agree with that. Mixed into a diluted shampoo will definitely lessen the possibility but yes, proceed with caution around white grout!

hmmm. Well the floor grout is a brown/beige colour...but the walls are white. Its regularly doused in flaming red hair hair dye without much problem. I shall proceed with caution.

An old showies tip is to soak a bar of old fashioned Velvet Soap in a pot of water and then use the water and the gooey bar of soap to wash the dog. We used to do that 3 times a week on the whites of the Landseer Newfies.

It is definitely shower safe.

working with a short coarse coat is very different to a fluffy coat. Half of the success of whitening products on fluffy coats is that the hair is easier to penetrate, the undercoat really grabs the product, and once fluff dried, light penetrating the coat adds to the illusion of whiteness!

hmmm. Well the floor grout is a brown/beige colour...but the walls are white. Its regularly doused in flaming red hair hair dye without much problem. I shall proceed with caution.

Yes I think you will be ok. just rinse the walls down asap. I use the mix every day but the bath shell I use is fibreglass. The shakes go up the walls, which are off white, and I have never had a problem cleaning the walls of the diluted solution, but grout is obviously more porous. Be really careful with the neat shampoo though!

If you over mix no amount of rinsing will wash the purple colour out & each dog & coat absorbs it differently ,legs can take a stronger strength than often the body but again depends on the coat .

I never apply whitening shampoo to a dry coat ,it is done whilst wet & left on for the allocated time or the time that suits that dog .

Some shampoos can make the coat go yellow/dirty if used to much .

Green dishwashing detergent works a treat on legs & velvet soap & i will do this as a pre clean before a whitening product is applied but yes it can be drying so a good conditioner must be used .

White vinegar added to a shampoo works great too .

Also stripping the dead coat on the legs ,most people never do but that short coat is often dead & needs removing leaving a stunning white underneath

I agree. I would not put whitening shampoo on to a dry coat. The way I do it mixing the shampoo and warm water, means the coat is not dry as soon as the mix hits it. I wouldn't just splodge some neat whitening shampoo onto a dry coat.

And yes, If you don't dilute properly, some whitening shampoos really take to the coat and are a bitch to get out. By diluting the Whitening shampoo together with regular shampoo, and mixing with warm water before application to the dog, I have never had that happen and I do it every day on all sorts of coat types. the ones you really have to watch are the soft undercoat dogs like Samoyed, Pyrenean, Husky, Collie etc.

I remember in the good old days when we used magic silver white. A few dogs went out with a 'purple rinse'!

I agree. I would not put whitening shampoo on to a dry coat. The way I do it mixing the shampoo and warm water, means the coat is not dry as soon as the mix hits it. I wouldn't just splodge some neat whitening shampoo onto a dry coat.

And yes, If you don't dilute properly, some whitening shampoos really take to the coat and are a bitch to get out. By diluting the Whitening shampoo together with regular shampoo, and mixing with warm water before application to the dog, I have never had that happen and I do it every day on all sorts of coat types. the ones you really have to watch are the soft undercoat dogs like Samoyed, Pyrenean, Husky, Collie etc.

I remember in the good old days when we used magic silver white. A few dogs went out with a 'purple rinse'!

I had a purple horse once for a major show. That was a bit embarrassing.

Have you tried the Black Equinade shampoo? I used to use that on the white horse too. Gives a clearer white rather than a purple white, if that makes sense.