Incontinence

Hi I have a 12yr old female dachshund she has started urinating on her bed every day she doesn't have a infection I'm thinking it might be old age has anyone else had this problem any ideas I can do she has been so good for years and always gone outside to do her business, Debbie

Sounds like she's mildly incontinent. It's often hormonal and not uncommon in older bitches.

Take the dog and a urine sample to the vet. If a UTI is ruled out, there is medication that can be given to stop the leaking.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

My Sarah who will turn 14 next week had the same problem as a 12 year old - it was as if her bladder sphincter would let go when she was deeply asleep - and it used to really distress her. So off we went to the vet, checked it wasn't a UTI - it wasn't - and she started on Stilboestrel. I also make her sleep on a Conni pad (with her blanket of course!) and wear pants and a pad when she's on my bed. She's never really thrilled with the pants but it means she can still sleep on the bed with me. So problem solved. Good luck and will be interested in what you find and decide.smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

Penny (16) developed the same problem, tested for UTI, all ok, so was put on Stilboestrol twice weekly (Mac is also on Stilboestrol so I buy a 100 tablet bottle) She started flirting with Mac...generally behaved like a tart, drove us nuts. I phoned the vet and was advised to cut down the dose to 1 tablet a week, this has worked very well so no more losing bladder control when she is sleeping.

When she was behaving like a bitch in season it was a worry as she has arthritis and we feared she would hurt herself...she was pretty full-on :laugh:

Edited by Boronia

rofl1.gif Boronia - Penny the little tart!! Sarah can be a bit tarty occasionally but isn't really fuill-on. But Mac is terribly interested in her girly bits - apparently its the Stilboestrol.

One thing I forgot to mention - at some stage we changed Mac from Stilboestrol.to Propalin Syrup - can't remember why. I noticed Mac was becoming quite aggressive but didn't connect the two until I suddenly twigged - so did some research and aggression can be a Propalin side effect - took Mac off the Propalin and back onto Stilboestrol and problem solved. SO be careful if you are prescribed Propalin. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum