So Excited Were Off To Our First Show!

Willowlane

So I finally bit the bullet and took the plunge and were entered for our first show - for either one of us :D

Its on in 2 weekends so the 19th, 20th & 21st of June. Its being held at Gunnedah but its the Coonabarabran KC Championship Show. We get to do 2 classes a day so 6 in total which makes the drive worthwhile and mum and I are making it a girls weekend away so it should be a blast :)

It will also be nice to not be around quite sooooo many of the professionals as there is at the sydney shows (or is that just my hope lol) little less nerve racking.

So after the first aid kit thread im now going to put one together but I had some other questions....

Google maps says it will take us 5hrs with no breaks( and going the speed limit) to get to Gunnedah. I am betting we take 6hrs30mins at least as we wont be doing 110km all the way. We will either have a dog trailer which will be her first time on board or we will have a bike trailer/caravan which we tend to not go over 100/105 with anyway. Plus she will need stops along the way.

1. How often would you stop for a 12wk old puppy - every hour?

2. Being her first long trip should we take another dog with her or is it best to have her travel alone to build confidence if that makes sense?

We are leaving and travelling Thursday then planning on travelling home Sunday afternoon but if were late then we will stay till Monday and travel home Monday

We have a caravan/motor bike van to stay in but Dad said it will be freezing this time of year so im thinking of getting a hotel that allows dogs in the rooms...I think I might have found the only pet friendly hotel in Gunnedah lol...if anyone can suggest some please suggest away!!

Gunnedah can be very cold that time of year but there are powered sites at the grounds. It's actually one of the nicest grounds to camp at. I'm not familiar with motels that allow dogs in rooms as I normally camp up there.

Travelling - usually takes me 5hrs from the Northside of Sydney towing. Stopping - maybe every 1.5hr-2hrs if her bladder isn't used to holding it. But I've found I only need to stop once with pups.

There's 6 springers entered up there that weekend - Lee-Ann will be one of the exhibitors, she's lovely so say hi and I'm sure she will be willing to help you :)

I believe the rule with puppies is that they can hold their bladder for their age in months plus an hour, so for her that would be 4 hours. So maybe stop every 2 to keep it comfortable. But i imagine she'll just be sleeping! Especially if you do a little bit of mental and physical workout before getting into the car.

I think it would be good to get her used to being away from the other dog. I didnt do this with mine and now have one that relies heavily on the other.

i would recommend encouraging independence