Doggy Toilet Ideas

Need some ideas Dolers.

I'm moving next month to a unit, which only has a small paved courtyard at the back. I have 2 dogs, a Staffy and a smaller mixed breed (mutt laugh.gif) and they've always had a grassed yard to do their business in. They are both older dogs, 10 and 16, and while they will get a twice daily short walk and will no doubt pee while out, I need ideas for the back paved courtyard.

I don't want them peeing on the pavers, what is out there that I can buy/make and won't stink up the place? I've had a quick look at portable pet toilets, but they are many and varied in price and I don't want to buy one and find its useless.And preferably something that's not huge, as the yard is tiny as it is and I will have a cat enclosure there as well. laugh.gif

I did a home check and they had an old dog and lots of stairs so they'd set up a large plastic tray and put paper in it for the dog to toilet on between walks without having to do all the stairs. The lady of the house worked at an auto parts chain store (Super Cheap maybe?) and I think that is where she got the big tray. Something like this maybe? You can probably get different sizes or even two trays if you have the space - they are pretty cheap and don't need to be deep if you are just using paper.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Oil-Drip-Tray-Plastic-950-x-650mm.aspx?pid=356447#Recommendations

In my last place I only had a small concrete courtyard area outside. I used a kids clamshell pool with soil in it and fake grass over the top for the dogs to toilet on. It worked well, I had the three dogs using it (one med, two small) and would just pick up poos as soon as I saw them and wash the fake grass and leave it to dry in the sun every couple of days. The fake grass was pretty cheap (just the cheapest one from Bunnings and you only need 1/2 metre) so you could easily replace it regularly if you found it got stinky.

I typed out a reply but my Internet keeps cutting out and it didn't go through. laugh.gif

Thanks Mrs RB, the tray seems to be a good idea, but would the (wet) paper start to smell, I'm thinking of the summer heat that SA gets.

SG, what kind of soil did you use? And how often did you need to change it? I could probably fit a small clamshell in, but what about when it rains, does it get all soggy and smelly? It wiould be only half undercover, and sorry for all the questions. laugh.gif

Has anybody used those outdoor doggy toilets, I have seen a few advertised, the ones where there is a grid over a tray, covered by fake grass, the wee goes through and drains into a removable little drawer that you can flush down the toilet.

Like this one: https://www.worldforpets.com.au/products/46222

Edited by Cazablanca

I just used potting mix Caz. I only changed it after about 6 months, it seemed to dry out enough not to be too stinky. The fake grass definitely got more more smelly. Mine was undercover but it would get a bit soggy if rain blew in in stormy weather, I'd just move it to the sun to dry out again.

I did try a cheap version of those doggy toilets at one stage, the dogs took to it straight away and it worked ok. Same thing with it needing to be washed and dried in the sun, probably daily I'd say, to not be smelly. I just found it wasn't big enough for the three dogs, and the boys weren't so great at hitting it every time when they lifted their legs.

A good way to get the smell out of fake grass is to use liquid chlorine diluted in a watering can , rinse it, then hose it down.

I do my lawn every month and its works really well.

A breeder I know absolutely swears by the fake grass, doesn't bother with soil under it, she uses an old plastic tray from a large wire crate (or you can buy replacement trays quite readily) and has three bits of grass to fit it. One in the tray, one drying after the daily hosing off and a spare in case the weather doesn't let the dripping one dry properly!

She trains all her puppies on these as well.

I typed out a reply but my Internet keeps cutting out and it didn't go through. laugh.gif

Thanks Mrs RB, the tray seems to be a good idea, but would the (wet) paper start to smell, I'm thinking of the summer heat that SA gets.

SG, what kind of soil did you use? And how often did you need to change it? I could probably fit a small clamshell in, but what about when it rains, does it get all soggy and smelly? It wiould be only half undercover, and sorry for all the questions. laugh.gif

Has anybody used those outdoor doggy toilets, I have seen a few advertised, the ones where there is a grid over a tray, covered by fake grass, the wee goes through and drains into a removable little drawer that you can flush down the toilet.

Like this one: https://www.worldforpets.com.au/products/46222

It could smell a little until the soiled paper was removed but I'm assuming you would change it as often as you could. I think smell is the biggest issue with any portable toilet option you might try. I think those outdoor doggy toilets you buy have those water absorbing crystals in them so I'm not sure about smell. And like SG has indicated, boy dogs pee with their leg up and that presents a different dilemma! (not sure if yours are boys though?)

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, this is why I love Dol. biggrin.gif

I have both LG, the old fella can't cock his leg these days, he just hovers and pees, very wobbly on his legs too (falls a bit, and can't go up steps or jump up anymore, he's showing his age I guess)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I sourced a doggy loo off Ebay, it's "The Pet Loo" and bought for their dog but never used, I got it for $20 plus postage, and to buy that one new is $190, so I'm well pleased. :laugh:

I just need to grab some more artificial grass, and I'm set. :D

Juice, do you think the diluted chlorine will take the color out of the fake grass?

Well I sourced a doggy loo off Ebay, it's "The Pet Loo" and bought for their dog but never used, I got it for $20 plus postage, and to buy that one new is $190, so I'm well pleased. :laugh:

I just need to grab some more artificial grass, and I'm set. :D

Juice, do you think the diluted chlorine will take the color out of the fake grass?

This was the one i was going to recommend. We used to use them at the daycare i used to work at. Easier to clean than the other brand ones they had and drained better so less smell.

Doesn't with mine, i fill up a watering can 3/4 water , 1/4 chlorine, rinse it over, then hose it off.

Right, I might give it a try then, thanks.

Denali, that's encouraging! I'm waiting for it to arrive so I can hopefully train them both to use it a bit before we move.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd update on this.

Both dogs refuse to use the portable dog loo. Typical. :laugh:

The old boy just wees mainly in one spot on the pavers (against a big pot plant) and the girl will (mainly) wee on the fake turf that I grabbed off the portable dog loo and placed on the pavers.

I'm just using a bucket of water and pouring that over each wee to dilute it (it's on a bit of a slope and goes into a drain), and twice a week I give the pavers a hot wash (with vinegar) and scrub with the broom, and then rinse off. So far, no smells ( I wash the fake grass 3 times a week and leave it to dry, but I do need another piece now) Poop is easy, gets picked up straight away, double bagged and binned.

Hot weather might be different, but for now, this works.

Edited by Cazablanca