Coats For Largish Terriers?

Scottsmum

Im in the market for a new coat or two.

I have one waterproof weatherbeeta 40 cm. Which is great, a smidge too short but good in every other way. The 45 was way too big.

Ideally I'd like a second waterproif jacket for walks & when the original is in the wash or drying (we walk rain or shine) and something a bit softer for around the house in general, as Scottie really feels the cold, needing a jacket 24/7 at some stages in winter & he'll be spending a bit of time in Katoomba this winter.

So... ive found some ruffwear jackets & want to know if anyone uses them?

Or should I stick to my trusty weatherbeetas?

Edited by Scottsmum

I'm not a fan of either brand but of the two, I'd say the Ruffwear ones are definitely the better choice. Better quality, less of a dog tablecloth and much nicer in terms of cut and style.

That said.. I have greyhounds in Tasmania so I own an absurd amount of dogs coats and I've become a bit of a coat snob :o

I would have to agree with Maddy- the weatherbeeta ones never fit my dogs right. I don't have one of their jackets but i have a ruffwear cooling coat and it is good :)

So if their jumpers are the same standard i think they are the way to go.

Scottie is a strange shape so the WB actually fits amazingly well - best fit ive ever seen on a dog - except it's like 2 cm too short along his back :)

Any other brand suggestions? I've looked at some online but its hard to know whats what online.

I'm a big fan of Hurrta coats - check out Clean Run but I think there is a stockist here as well. My Dally is long and the winter coat is designed to reach half way down his tail. He camps in that when its < 5C at night.

I have the cooling coat (which velcros up right between the front legs, of all the fiddly places to be trying to be mucking around with trying to thread a velcro tab through) and one of the winter coats and the shapes are a bit.. stout. I'm used to non-greyhound specific things not fitting quite right but the Hurrta coats seem very square.

Any other brand suggestions? I've looked at some online but its hard to know whats what online.

For breeds besides sighthounds? The Lilcracka coats are decent, if you can get them with the regular plastic buckles and not those god-awful metal things that are impossible to do up and pop open constantly. I have a couple of their thick winter coats (they also do a polar fleece) and besides the metal things (which still give me an irrational case of the rages because they're so terrible), they were good quality coats and sat very nicely.

Yes it certainly depends on body shape - I wouldn't call my Dally square by a long shot but he's no Grey either. I love the quick release buckle on the winter coat as I use it for dog sports too. I can keep him warm until the last minute. My Springer is impossible to fit. I have a WB for her but it looks ridiculous. Fortunately I only have to use it when she is wet and the wind is freezing enough to make her teeth chatter - she revels in the cold.

Brand new out of the bag...

ff2592a06e50f7ab2cff42203d18ef1d.jpg

Edited by The Spotted Devil

See, I think that's part of the problem- they do up under the chest, instead of under the loin and it looks wrong to me. From looking at the photo, I'd say back length is right (maybe a tad long?) but drop is all wrong, like they assume a dog of X back length is going to be built like a labrador and need Y girth all the way along.

That said, WB coats are shapeless stiff dog drapes so by comparison, Hurrta are better.

Which reminds me.. Chilly Dogs coats are okay. I don't think quality quite matches the price- the fleece on mine feels pretty average, maybe even a little thin- but they're a decent coat if you can get them at a reasonable price.

I've got a wag wear waterproof for Max and it fits the same as the weatherbeeta he tried on (I didn't like their colours), maybe even a little better as it has a couple of darts near the bum area.

I also have a couple of fleece pull over styles for inside in winter (he feels the cold and no heating) and a kazoo dryzabone style which looks fab on him. I also had an inside jumper handmade by a dol member, which ties up which looks very fancy and fits like a glove ;) he's a mini schnauzer 40-42cm long but not fat at all so may be a similar shape to Scotty?

I've got a wag wear waterproof for Max and it fits the same as the weatherbeeta he tried on (I didn't like their colours), maybe even a little better as it has a couple of darts near the bum area.

I also have a couple of fleece pull over styles for inside in winter (he feels the cold and no heating) and a kazoo dryzabone style which looks fab on him. I also had an inside jumper handmade by a dol member, which ties up which looks very fancy and fits like a glove ;) he's a mini schnauzer 40-42cm long but not fat at all so may be a similar shape to Scotty?

We have some super lovely hand made ones -pure aussie wool made to order - but he manages to pee on them so they're not practical!

Will look at the other options as above. Ive looked at the hurrta ones before & what wver K9 pro stock.

Big thanks for the suggestions & photos - theyre cute and educational - :)

We are also off to pick up a "dapper dog" coat. Brand new, waterproof, with tag from gumtree for $10, which looks like it will be a suitable day rug & measures 42cm so it might be a good fit.

Edited by Scottsmum

Crazy Sales currently have Hurtta coats if you are looking biggrin.gif

Hope you're on commission for enabling, LisaCC :rofl: . My Kirra really didn't need another coat - but hey, she is 13, and has done so much for me, and she will need to be warm this winter ......... so a nice red Hurtta winter coat will be on its way to her. :D

So... I went the "cheap" option to tide us over for the short term.

We got a "dapper dog" coat off Gumtree for $10 http://pawspoint.com.au/dog-clothing-3/dog-coats-71/dapper-dog-coats-1064.html

Must say I'm not overly impressed. He got into bed for morning cuddles this morning and while he wasn't cold he certainly wasn't as toasty as he usually is in his weatherbeeta. Plus he's already pee'd on the surcingle / tummy band - which is a big gross out for me and something he doesn't do with his Weatherbeeta. I'm willing to admit I might have had it on too loose around his shoulders and will make a call on it later but I might be donating it to the shelter - I don't like jumpers he accidentally pees on.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQ-pEjoICGINkZsNlBKRVdDUzQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQ-pEjoICGIaUFJOFZva0c5M2c/view?usp=sharing

The other one I got was a Purina Wag wear - Haven't test driven it yet, looks OK, seems to fit a bit better than the WB - even though the cut is similar. Was a lot cheaper than the WB (from memory). Has reflective tape on it, a hole for a harness and velcro straps. Fleece lined (Vs. the WB poly lining - which doesn't hold hair) https://www.petlife.com.au/dogproducts/wagwear/size-guide/ - Got it from PetO in Alexandria for Sydney siders who are interested. $29

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQ-pEjoICGISFVwek9DMXdDM0E/view?usp=sharing

His WB is the spotty one on top, new wagwear is on bottom.

PetO had another brand / Style too - but I didnt grab it as it 'felt' less waterproof (it was listed as water resistant) and it had a bucket front - which I don't like - I much prefer velcro so he can get it off if he really wants / gets stuck on something.

Anyhow, as I said, they'll do for the week I'm away - this week while he's in katoomba. I can sew hand have made him a day coat before (when i first got him when we had a cold snap)- May well spend some time making him a well fitting day jumper in the next uni break.

thanks everyone for the feedback :)