Breed Help Please!

Xyz

Thanks all. My labs (all lean but stocky built) are around 32kg, ....

Cheers:) :)

Yes, Ernie may add more as he bulks up but a couple of kilos over this magical 30 dhoukdnt matter if it's the right temperament. Don't think females get that big.

There is a breed standard. "Size does matter" to an extent, with breeding animals. Females can get in the low 30s (yes fit, not fat).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Hazywal- a greyhound would really not be appropriate for what the OP wants.

They're usually terrible guard dogs, they're not suited to being on the backs of utes, they have high prey drive and can be difficult to catch if they take off after something and while they're not heavy dogs, they are fairly big dogs- my old guy was only 33kg and he took up the whole back seat of our large car.

I'm all for encouraging people to adopt greys but only where the breed would actually be suitable.

I agree with Hazywal- a greyhound would really not be appropriate for what the OP wants.

They're usually terrible guard dogs, they're not suited to being on the backs of utes, they have high prey drive and can be difficult to catch if they take off after something and while they're not heavy dogs, they are fairly big dogs- my old guy was only 33kg and he took up the whole back seat of our large car.

I'm all for encouraging people to adopt greys but only where the breed would actually be suitable.

I disagree with you both. :)

On which of those particular points would you disagree?

Greyhounds are great on farms! Not all of them have a terrible recall. Except when there's something oh-so-exciting!! Last week I went out for a bush walk with my SIL & her greyhound biggrin.gif we also had her 2yo daughter with us and the Grey was walking along letting the little one hold her arm over her back for support. I'm sure a Grey could learn to jump on a ute or at least be helped on & off. IMO a farm is a great place for the right Greyhound!

Most of them. As I have posted earlier about my friend and her experiences I am not going to repeat myself. The alert barking is the one I would sort of agree with but as I have one here currently, who is teaching her granddaughter the same, my experience is they can be very good watchdogs. But my girls are not the norm. The boys have been pretty useless in that regard.

ETA I would happily sell one of my precious pups to a farm, as long as the people met my criteria.

Edited by Rebanne

Greyhounds are great on farms! Not all of them have a terrible recall. Except when there's something oh-so-exciting!! Last week I went out for a bush walk with my SIL & her greyhound biggrin.gif we also had her 2yo daughter with us and the Grey was walking along letting the little one hold her arm over her back for support. I'm sure a Grey could learn to jump on a ute or at least be helped on & off. IMO a farm is a great place for the right Greyhound!

That's the thing, the right greyhound and NO not ALL greyhounds would be good on farms in my experience, sorry. I'm always surprised when people who have never owned or fostered greyhounds put them out there as a suitable breed. My boy is a walking disaster, an accident waiting to happen. No way would he suit riding around on the back of a ute or free range on acreage.

Stan has scars all over him from accidents. Tore his shoulder open running across the deck on a screw on the BBQ, stitches. Degloved his shin on the back stairs, fractured his skull chasing a cat at a friends house and hit the fence at full pelt...with his head, millimetres from being killed instantly. My two fall over in the back of the car so hooning around the paddocks with a grey in the back of a ute makes me shudder.

Rebanne that's fine that you disagree but after a recent disasterous greyhound rehoming right here that unfolded like a disaster, finding a reputable group to home a dog to this situation is like finding a needle in a haystack IMO. I hope it works out, I really do but I just get a bad feeling...that's all. It doesn't matter what I think anyway as the OP has taken your advice and is moving forward with a greyhound.

Edited by HazyWal

Most of them. As I have posted earlier about my friend and her experiences I am not going to repeat myself. The alert barking is the one I would sort of agree with but as I have one here currently, who is teaching her granddaughter the same, my experience is they can be very good watchdogs. But my girls are not the norm. The boys have been pretty useless in that regard.

ETA I would happily sell one of my precious pups to a farm, as long as the people met my criteria.

Your one friend and her experiences aren't indicative of the breed though. If we're going on anecdotal evidence, I've had one greyhound surrendered to me from a pet home on a farm because she kept chasing native animals while on walks around the property and they didn't enjoy traipsing around for miles looking for the dog.

I have no problems with greyhounds living on farms if the owners are realistic in their expectations but in this case, I don't think the breed is suitable :shrug:

That's the thing, the right greyhound and NO not ALL greyhounds would be good on farms in my experience, sorry. I'm always surprised when people who have never owned or fostered greyhounds put them out there as a suitable breed. My boy is a walking disaster, an accident waiting to happen. No way would he suit riding around on the back of a ute or free range on acreage.

Stan has scars all over him from accidents. Tore his shoulder open running across the deck on a screw on the BBQ, stitches. Degloved his shin on the back stairs, fractured his skull chasing a cat at a friends house and hit the fence at full pelt...with his head, millimetres from being killed instantly. My two fall over in the back of the car so hooning around the paddocks with a grey in the back of a ute makes me shudder.

Rebanne that's fine that you disagree but after a recent disasterous greyhound rehoming right here that unfolded like a disaster, finding a reputable group to home a dog to this situation is like finding a needle in a haystack IMO. I hope it works out, I really do but I just get a bad feeling...that's all. It doesn't matter what I think anyway as the OP has taken your advice and is moving forward with a greyhound.

Your one friend and her experiences aren't indicative of the breed though. If we're going on anecdotal evidence, I've had one greyhound surrendered to me from a pet home on a farm because she kept chasing native animals while on walks around the property and they didn't enjoy traipsing around for miles looking for the dog.

I have no problems with greyhounds living on farms if the owners are realistic in their expectations but in this case, I don't think the breed is suitable :shrug:

one friend with several of her own greyhounds and many more fosters, plus my own greys on occasions plus the other people I know of and one of my pups that did also spend plenty of time with his owner at their place of employment. Yeah so quite a few greyhounds that have lived very happily and successfully on farms. But it is not for everybody nor for every dog and I didn't say it was. But if it doesn't work out well seems like it will be all my fault cause I dared to recommend my breed based on my experiences. You know all that hooning around in utes and walking them when they can get through the fences etc will get you every time

one friend with several of her own greyhounds and many more fosters, plus my own greys on occasions plus the other people I know of and one of my pups that did also spend plenty of time with his owner at their place of employment. Yeah so quite a few greyhounds that have lived very happily and successfully on farms. But it is not for everybody nor for every dog and I didn't say it was. But if it doesn't work out well seems like it will be all my fault cause I dared to recommend my breed based on my experiences. You know all that hooning around in utes and walking them when they can get through the fences etc will get you every time

:laugh: so as the hooning is directed at me I read the OP as "out in the ute with the boys" sorry that that rang a few alarm bells for me :shrug: I have lived out in western NSW and seen dogs on utes with the boys. Your friend is very experienced with greys obviously, this is a first time greyhound owner that has had cattle dogs and bull breeds. I forwarded this to a friend that has rehomed over 100 greys and asked her if she would home a grey here, her reply was probably not. If she did it would be after correct home checks and follow up visits and it would definitely have to be a certain type of dog. Her own grey lives with cats, small dogs and free range chickens but put her in this situation she's be off like a rat up a drain pipe after rabbits, stock you name it. This is my breed as well and I am basing this on my experiences. With respect I may not have 20 years under my belt in racing greys but I'm not a complete numpty either.

:laugh: so as the hooning is directed at me I read the OP as "out in the ute with the boys" sorry that that rang a few alarm bells for me :shrug: I have lived out in western NSW and seen dogs on utes with the boys. Your friend is very experienced with greys obviously, this is a first time greyhound owner that has had cattle dogs and bull breeds. I forwarded this to a friend that has rehomed over 100 greys and asked her if she would home a grey here, her reply was probably not. If she did it would be after correct home checks and follow up visits and it would definitely have to be a certain type of dog. Her own grey lives with cats, small dogs and free range chickens but put her in this situation she's be off like a rat up a drain pipe after rabbits, stock you name it. This is my breed as well and I am basing this on my experiences. With respect I may not have 20 years under my belt in racing greys but I'm not a complete numpty either.

My friend was a first time greyhound owner once, as we all were, and she managed to keep those early greys safe. She was also told by someone from GAP in NSW that she would have never been allowed a greyhound from them if she had lived in NSW. Luckily for many greys she lives in Victoria. I don't have 20 years of greyhound ownership under my belt either nor am I a numpty. I said a polite I disagree with you both and got jumped on by you both. Over it now. I gave my opinion to the OP with some clues on what to look for re a Greyhound group and I wish them the best of luck.

My friend was a first time greyhound owner once, as we all were, and she managed to keep those early greys safe. She was also told by someone from GAP in NSW that she would have never been allowed a greyhound from them if she had lived in NSW. Luckily for many greys she lives in Victoria. I don't have 20 years of greyhound ownership under my belt either nor am I a numpty. I said a polite I disagree with you both and got jumped on by you both. Over it now. I gave my opinion to the OP with some clues on what to look for re a Greyhound group and I wish them the best of luck.

Really? You replied to me.

If you didn't want to discuss it with me, you didn't have to reply to me. It's pretty simple.

I think the good and the bad points about greyhounds can apply to any dog that doesn't get enough training or the right training.

A cattle dog could be perfect - but untrained - it could be a stock killing disaster.

And a greyhound couldn't? O.o a damn sight faster than a cattle dog believe me...or not.

All a dog has to do to kill stock is chase the animals at speed (not all that fast) - into a fence or gully or even across a bit of concrete drain (break a leg).

Any dog could do it. It's not always about how fast they go.

Greyhounds have very long, thin, fragile legs. This makes them unlike most other breeds.

Greyhounds can run at over 60km/h, this makes them unlike most other breeds.

Greyhounds have a very high prey drive and will continue to chase through serious injuries (like broken hocks) or will chase with such focus that they'll hit solid objects at speed, unlike most other breeds.

Comparing a greyhound to a staffy or a lab or a cattle dog is ridiculous.

Thanks all. My labs (all lean but stocky built) are around 32kg, ....

Cheers:) :)

Yes, Ernie may add more as he bulks up but a couple of kilos over this magical 30 dhouldnt matter if it's the right temperament. Don't think females get that big.

There is a breed standard. "Size does matter" to an extent, with breeding animals. Females can get in the low 30s (yes fit, not fat).

Derailing further....

Breed standard is 29-36kg for males. I guess Ernie's got some bulking up ahead of him then!