Out Of Character Anxious Behaviour

Kirislin

Last week Feather had this very strange episode where she was trembling violently and panting. I felt her heart and it was racing so I immediately took her to the vet. He listened to her heart, it was over 200 bpm!! but her temp was normal, he examined her and couldn't find any sore spots so he put it down to stress and suggested I give her valium.

I thought back and wondered if it had to do with her being left at home with just Puck on Monday and we had that big lightning storm. I dont think she's been without me many times through storms. But she's had the episodes every day since so now I dont know what to think. Just now she refused her dinner and when Tag came in and went to get into a bed she attacked him!! That is an absolute first, I've never seen her attack a dog before. He defended himself and bit her and now she's bleeding on her head. It's not bad but I'm worried, I think I might go back to my old vet who I haven't seen in quite a few years as she's further away but I think I have more confidence in her diagnostic abilities. :( I'm just so shocked, it's so out of character, she's always been the gentlest little dog I hope she hasn't got a brain tumour. If she attacked Neko like she attacked Tag she could really do some damage.

Edited by Kirislin

ohhh :(

poor thing - and you ... :hug:

Def a call for bloods - chek everythinjg inc. thyroid levels .

I know in humans , that thyroid levels have a BIG impact on the heart /anxiety ....

Hoping that whatever it is can be fixed easily :)

Thanks all.

Just had a very brief scan of thyroid and aggression, it does sound a bit like what she's been going through except that it seems to happen in younger dogs when it's like that. Feather is almost 13 now. I cant wait to get her to the vet tomorrow. I hope they can work out what is wrong with her without it costing me an arm and a leg.

Feather's symptoms sound like adrenal gland problems which are more common in older dogs. This sort of thing usually comes with increased thirst and peeing.

If it is, you'll need an ultrasound of the abdomen because the blood tests won't show anything wrong.

Fingers crossed that whatever it is, is easily fixed!crossfingers.gif

I think low thyroid can cause sudden aggression? Otherwise I think another visit to the vet would be warranted as maybe she is hurting somewhere or was not feeling well when she attacked your other dog.

I know in humans , that thyroid levels have a BIG impact on the heart /anxiety ....

Given what I have seen over the last 12 months my first port of call from now on whenever anything changes in a dog will always be thyroid. It controls so much of the body that it can show up in so many different ways and impact on so many parts of the body. If it were me I would be running a CBC, biochemistry, and at a minimum a t4 (many vets can do that in house). That should show up if anything is going on in the blood or thyroid and will give you a starting point.

We have an 11 year old dog who has just developed a thyroid issue so definitely not too old :) It can happen at any age. I'm starting to think it is one of those things that is always there, lying in the genetic makeup, but it takes something external to trigger the issue and activate those genes. That stress (whatever it may be) can happen at any age so no reason why an older dog can't suddenly develop a problem. Same goes for adrenal glands etc too.

The other thing I would be looking to do is get to a chiro or massage therapist. They will be the ones to pick up if your dog is sore, a general vet won't necessarily be able to do that. I've had regular vets miss some pretty major hamstring injuries etc on my dogs, even chiros have missed it and only the massage therapist has found the problem. So I wouldn't rule out soreness, especially at her age.

I think low thyroid can cause sudden aggression? Otherwise I think another visit to the vet would be warranted as maybe she is hurting somewhere or was not feeling well when she attacked your other dog.

Given what I have seen over the last 12 months my first port of call from now on whenever anything changes in a dog will always be thyroid. It controls so much of the body that it can show up in so many different ways and impact on so many parts of the body. If it were me I would be running a CBC, biochemistry, and at a minimum a t4 (many vets can do that in house). That should show up if anything is going on in the blood or thyroid and will give you a starting point.

We have an 11 year old dog who has just developed a thyroid issue so definitely not too old :) It can happen at any age. I'm starting to think it is one of those things that is always there, lying in the genetic makeup, but it takes something external to trigger the issue and activate those genes. That stress (whatever it may be) can happen at any age so no reason why an older dog can't suddenly develop a problem. Same goes for adrenal glands etc too.

The other thing I would be looking to do is get to a chiro or massage therapist. They will be the ones to pick up if your dog is sore, a general vet won't necessarily be able to do that. I've had regular vets miss some pretty major hamstring injuries etc on my dogs, even chiros have missed it and only the massage therapist has found the problem. So I wouldn't rule out soreness, especially at her age.

Feather's recently had 2 visits to an osteopath that's been treating Neko and now Puck. She's certainly showing signs of aging now, stiffness etc. and she's on Meloxicam as well. Last night I gave her a Valium which had her staggering around like a drunkard but this morning she was positively puppy like. Trotting out with me at 4.30am happily wagging her tail and telling me she wanted to eat (as she didn't want much yesterday). I know sometimes when I've taken one the night before my back isn't as sore in the morning, so I think what she's got is pain related, although there's possibly other things going on as well. I've got an appointment tomorrow afternoon with the vet I used to go to but haven't been for a few years due to the distance. I think she might be better at diagnosing Feather's problem. Here's hoping anyway.

Feather's symptoms sound like adrenal gland problems which are more common in older dogs. This sort of thing usually comes with increased thirst and peeing.

If it is, you'll need an ultrasound of the abdomen because the blood tests won't show anything wrong.

Good post, SM. That information is useful to khow.

I also wondered if there were any other symptoms.

Not sure if she has increased thirst. She's always been a heat lover but over the last few years on sunny days, they dont even have to feel that warm to me, she would sometimes get the staggers and seek our shade on our walks. I've told my vet about it but they didn't follow it up.

aww thanks girls, she'll get some extra smooches then and I'll tell her they're from her admirers. She was really great yesterday, no anxiety like the previous days. I'm not sure if it was still the valium in her system or that I put her coat on her and left it on all day, even though it was quite warm, or simply because it just didn't occur yesterday. I've already put her coat on today anyway and she's tucked up here beside me. She loves her bed but she'll always get up when I do and come out into the computer room, so does Puck. The other 2 Tag and Neko are happy to stay in bed.