Dog In Deep Grief; Any Ideas For Recover?

suziwong66

Last week, our breeder gave her matriarch breeding bitch her wings. Sadly, the old girl's daughter (just retired from breeding) has taken the loss deeply and won't interact with the other 9 dogs. She keeps isolating herself; her pup that was kept from the retirement litter follows her and keeps her company but to no avail; the grief still hasn't gotten better.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before and got any advice to share? My breeder is at her wits end.

In my experience they can act a bit off for a few weeks after losing another dog. I would probably just act normally around her and give it some time. Poor thing :(

If it was an ongoing thing it would require a vet check if they haven't already had one aswell.

It does take a fair bit of time for the pack order to settle and for new bonds to form between the dogs. It took Zeph several months to interact with Dee in a playful manner the way Dee and Baylee used to play. Dee did not play ball and swim the way that Baylee did.

I would give her time to establish her place in the pack and to bond with a new dog. The company of the pup sounds like a very good idea.